Dish soap and water evaporation

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for maintaining humidity in a small space, specifically using a gallon bucket of water with the addition of dish soap and the use of wicks or a fish tank bubbler to promote evaporation. The speaker also mentions the possibility of using distilled water to prevent impurities from accumulating on the surface.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I want to keep a small space (oh, say, about the size of a chest humidor - call it 2 cubic feet) humid to a level of about 70% to 80%.

I don't feel like using the whole humidity technology that you have to fill all the time, so I've just stuck a gallon bucket of water in there.

I was wondering if adding a drop of dish soap would increase the evaporation rate by breaking the surface tension.

(Incidentally, I notice that the bucket of water seems to evaporate slower over time.Fast at first, but then drops off. I am hypothesizing that, impurities such as oils are accumulating on the surface as the water evaparates, and that this layer is discouraging further evaporation. That's one reason why one uses distilled water in such systems. But I'm looking for a more low-tech solution.)

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know about chemical additives but:

Putting some wicks sticking up out of the water will promote evaporation. A wick with a lot of surface area.

A little fish tank bubbler in the bottom of the water will also promote evaporation.

Thanks. I like the wick idea. Passive and maintenance-free.

What is the purpose of dish soap in the evaporation process?

Dish soap helps to break up the surface tension of water, allowing it to spread more evenly across a surface and evaporate at a faster rate.

Does hot or cold water evaporate faster with dish soap?

Hot water evaporates faster than cold water with or without dish soap. However, dish soap can help hot water evaporate even faster due to its ability to reduce surface tension.

How does the concentration of dish soap affect water evaporation?

The more dish soap added to water, the faster the water will evaporate. This is because dish soap reduces the surface tension and allows the water molecules to spread out and evaporate more quickly.

Can dish soap affect the rate of evaporation for other liquids?

Yes, dish soap can affect the rate of evaporation for other liquids. It works by reducing the surface tension, which can help liquids evaporate at a faster rate.

Is dish soap and water evaporation affected by external factors?

Yes, dish soap and water evaporation can be affected by external factors such as temperature, humidity, and air flow. These factors can impact the rate at which water molecules can escape into the air, thus affecting the overall evaporation process.