Divergent or Convergent Integral

In summary, the conversation is about finding the value of an improper integral, given by $\int_{1}^{2} \frac{1}{x lnx} \,dx$. The speaker uses the substitution $u=lnx$ to rewrite the integral into $\int_{1}^{2} \frac{1}{u} \,du$ and then uses the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus to evaluate it. The result is $\infty$, indicating that the integral diverges.
tmt1
I have:

$$\int_{1}^{2} \frac{1}{x lnx} \,dx$$

I can set $u = lnx$, therefore $du = \frac{1}{x} dx$ and $xdu = dx$. Plug that into the original equation:

$$\int_{1}^{2} \frac{x}{x u} \,du$$

Or

$$\int_{1}^{2} \frac{1}{ u} \,du$$

Therefore: $ln |u | + C$ and $ln |lnx | + C$

So I need to find the value of this equation where $x = 2$ and where $x = 1$, subtract the latter from the former.

Wolfram says $ln(ln2) = -0.3665$ and $ln(ln1) = - \infty$

so $ln(ln 2) - ln(ln1) = \infty $.

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems correct for me.

We are given:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_1^2 \frac{1}{x\ln(x)}\,dx\)

As we have division by zero on the left-hand limit, this is an improper integral, and I would write:

\(\displaystyle I=\lim_{t\to1}\left(\int_t^2 \frac{1}{x\ln(x)}\,dx\right)\)

Using the same $u$-substitution, we may write:

\(\displaystyle I=\lim_{t\to1}\left(\int_{\ln(t)}^{\ln(2)} \frac{1}{u}\,du\right)\)

Apply the FTOC:

\(\displaystyle I=\lim_{t\to1}\left(\ln\left(\frac{\ln(2)}{\ln(t)}\right)\right)=\infty\)

I agree, the integral diverges. :D

What is the difference between divergent and convergent integrals?

Divergent integrals are integrals that do not have a finite value and do not converge to a specific number. This means that the integral does not have a defined area under the curve and cannot be solved using traditional methods. Convergent integrals, on the other hand, have a finite value and can be solved to find the exact area under the curve.

How do you determine if an integral is divergent or convergent?

To determine if an integral is divergent or convergent, you must first evaluate the integral using traditional methods. If the integral has a finite value, it is convergent. If the integral does not have a finite value, it is divergent.

Can an integral be both divergent and convergent?

No, an integral cannot be both divergent and convergent. It is either one or the other. If an integral does not have a finite value, it is considered divergent. If an integral has a finite value, it is considered convergent.

What are some common techniques for solving divergent integrals?

Some common techniques for solving divergent integrals include using improper integrals, using the Cauchy principal value, and using limits to redefine the integral so that it becomes convergent.

Why are divergent integrals important in mathematics?

Divergent integrals play a crucial role in mathematics because they help us understand the limitations of traditional methods for solving integrals. They also help us explore alternative techniques for solving integrals and can lead to new discoveries in mathematics.