Divergent Sums of Linearly Independent Elements

In summary, the conversation discusses the convergence and reordering of an infinite series with linearly independent and normalized basis elements. It is proven that if all coefficients converge, then the series converges, but if even one coefficient diverges, the series diverges. The case where more than one coefficient diverges is also discussed, with the conclusion that the series still diverges. The proof involves using properties of linearly independent elements and norms in Banach spaces. It is also mentioned that for finite-dimensional spaces, all norms are equivalent.
Gear300
Suppose we had an infinite series -

z = i = 1 to ∞ ( α1(i)x1 + α2(i)x2 + . . . + αm(i)xm )

- rewritten as the cumulative sequence -

z(n) = α1(n)x1 + α2(n)x2 + . . . + αm(n)xm

- where the xj are linearly independent and normalized (and serve as a finite basis across the sequence). If all the coefficients converged, then z(n) converges. If only one of the coefficients diverges, then z(n) diverges. How do we assess the case where more than one of the coefficients diverge (while noting that they are linearly independent)? Our space is a normed linear space.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If the whole system of xj is linearly independent, you can analyze each component separately. The sum will converge if all components converge.

Does that mean we can reorder the sum however we want, and that convergence is true iff all components converge? If so, would this change if the basis across the sum progressively became countable?

You can only reorder the infinite sum arbitrarily if it is absolute convergent. Which implies absolute convergence for every component.
Gear300 said:
would this change if the basis across the sum progressively became countable?
Wait, what? I though xj doesn't depend on i.

In general, what I was getting at was given a sum -

z = z1 + z2 + . . . + zn + . . .

- where the basis for all of them is over the finite space spanned by { x1 , x2 , . . . , xm }, then the sequence of progressive sums is -

z(n) = α1(n)x1 + α2(n)x2 + . . . + αm(n)xm

Given that the xj are normalized, if the coefficients absolutely converge, then the sum can be reordered. But they do not necessarily have to absolutely converge for the sum z to converge. So I was unsure. Also, if the basis for the entire space is infinite, then the sequence of progressive sums can introduce new linearly independent elements. I was just wondering how to treat the case where several of the coefficients diverged in the sequence z(n) (given that the xj are linearly independent).

As soon as one component diverges, the series diverges.
As soon as one component is not absolute convergent, reordering can change the limit.

mfb said:
As soon as one component diverges, the series diverges.

Thanks. Is there a proof for this? I was considering the Hahn-Banach theorem, but I haven't made it work.

Gear300 said:
Thanks. Is there a proof for this? I was considering the Hahn-Banach theorem, but I haven't made it work.
If I understood you, it comes down to ## \infty +a = \infty ## ; a sum of numbers one of which is infinite ( meaning unbounded in norm, here ) cannot be finite.

3 lines of proof with epsilon/delta to show that convergence of the overall series requires convergence in every component.

WWGD said:
If I understood you, it comes down to ## \infty +a = \infty ## ; a sum of numbers one of which is infinite ( meaning unbounded in norm, here ) cannot be finite.

Yeah. I thought it might be possible to extend a linear functional f(x1) = ||x1|| so that f(α1(n)x1 + α2(n)x2 + . . . + αm(n)xm) diverges while f(x) < ||x|| for all x ∈ R.

mfb said:
3 lines of proof with epsilon/delta to show that convergence of the overall series requires convergence in every component.

I figured it would turn out dubious if I didn't use some property of linear independence, so I never thought past that.

Thanks for the answers.

You need the linear independence. Otherwise the statement is false.

Thanks again. I will work through this, but just as a quick question, does this remain true even for a sum across a countable set of linearly independent elements?

Then I would expect that the sum can converge even if the individual components do not, but it could depend on the xj.
Which metric do you use?

Sorry for the late response. I am not using any particular metric. I am just proving certain properties of Banach spaces (or normed linear spaces in general). Since these are metric spaces, I only have to worry about countable sums. But some of the smaller things, such as -

"Absolute convergence implies convergence, but the converse is not always true."

- have been slowing me down in my proofs. I was essentially just a little finicky about when we are allowed to reorder the sums and whatnot.

Last edited:

1. What is a "Divergent Sum" in the context of linearly independent elements?

A divergent sum refers to the sum of a series of numbers that does not converge to a finite value. In other words, the sum keeps increasing indefinitely as more terms are added. This can happen when the elements in the series are linearly independent, meaning they cannot be expressed as a linear combination of each other.

2. How do you determine if a sum of linearly independent elements is divergent?

A sum of linearly independent elements can be considered divergent if the limit of the partial sums approaches infinity as the number of terms increases. This can also be determined by checking if the series does not converge to a finite value or if the terms in the series do not approach zero as the number of terms increases.

3. Can a divergent sum of linearly independent elements ever converge?

No, a divergent sum of linearly independent elements cannot converge. This is because the elements in the series are independent of each other and cannot be manipulated or combined to create a finite sum. As more terms are added, the sum will continue to increase without approaching a specific value.

4. How is the concept of "Divergent Sums of Linearly Independent Elements" applicable in real-world scenarios?

Divergent sums of linearly independent elements can be applied in various fields of science and mathematics, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. In physics, it can be used to analyze the behavior of infinite systems, while in economics, it can be used to study the growth of populations or economies. In general, the concept can be applied whenever there is a need to understand the behavior of a system that involves independent elements.

5. Are there any practical uses for divergent sums of linearly independent elements?

Yes, there are practical uses for divergent sums of linearly independent elements. For example, in physics, it can be used to study the behavior of systems with infinite energy or mass, and in economics, it can be used to analyze the growth and development of economies without any limiting factors. Additionally, it can also be used in data analysis and machine learning algorithms to identify patterns and relationships between independent variables that may not be apparent in finite sums.