Do electromagnetic waves have potential and kinetic energy

In summary: There is a sort of analogy between the E field which we associate with Potential Energy and the H field, which is associated with motion. But the Kinetic Energy of electrons is not relevant to current in a wire so the analogy is a bit dodgy.
arlesterc
Do electromagnetic waves have potential and kinetic energy like springs, strings, etc. If so how are they calculated, inter-related? What is the total energy? Are the energies fluctuating over time?

I am a physics hobbyist so generally the first answers should come with the least mathematics as possible - high level - and then I delve further/dig into the math if I need to.

Thanks in advance.

Likes Dale
Physics news on Phys.org
arlesterc said:
Do electromagnetic waves have potential and kinetic energy like springs, strings, etc. If so how are they calculated, inter-related? What is the total energy? Are the energies fluctuating over time?

I am a physics hobbyist so generally the first answers should come with the least mathematics as possible - high level - and then I delve further/dig into the math if I need to.

Thanks in advance.
There is a sort of analogy between the E field which we associate with Potential Energy and the H field, which is associated with motion. But the Kinetic Energy of electrons is not relevant to current in a wire so the analogy is a bit dodgy. The E and H fields are in phase in an EM wave but the Potential Energy (pressure) fluctuations in a sound wave and the Kinetic Energy (air flow) are out of phase. So use any analogy with care and 'in private'.

sophiecentaur:
Thanks for quick reply. However I do not know what E and H are that you refer to?

CWatters: Thanks for the link but I see nothing in there about potential and kinetic energy of an electromagnetic wave. I saw a video about a string wave on Youtube and with the string I understood the relationship between kinetic and potential as the string was 'waved' - each point of the string went up and down as the wave waved and where the point of the string was represented some combination of potential and kinetic energy. I don't have that understanding with electromagnetic waves. Is there a calculation for what the potential energy of an electromagnetic wave is? The kinetic energy? I believe the electromagnetic wave can also be viewed as a particle - photon. So as a charged particle moves photons are created that move away from the charged particle. So do these photons have potential and kinetic energy? It would seem to me that they have maximum potential energy at the start but the potential would change to kinetic as time went on. Or is it vice versa? Also as a photon always travels at the speed of light what does it mean for kinetic energy of the photon?

Or is there no real potential and kinetic when it comes to electromagnetism as there is with uniform fields like gravity or electricity - like between two charged plates? It's a concept that is not used, has no meaning?

I appreciate any further attention that either of you can provide.

arlesterc said:
Thanks for quick reply. However I do not know what E and H are that you refer to?
Sorry, I was sort of expecting you to be familiar with that, in the light of your OP. E is Electric Field and H is Magnetic Field. The two fields are oscillating about a mean value as the wave progresses. Google is your friend in these matters.

arlesterc said:
I believe the electromagnetic wave can also be viewed as a particle - photon. So as a charged particle moves photons are created that move away from the charged particle.
It's best not to introduce photons into this discussion at all. First, they're only needed to explain the behavior of light in situations where quantum mechanical effects matter, and this isn't one. Second, they aren't anything like what you're thinking they are, because quantum mechanics uses the word "particle" to mean something completely different than the ordinary English meaning of the word suggests.

Without photons, light is classical electromagnetic waves. Electromagnetic fields store energy. This energy can move around as the fields change over time, so electromagnetic waves (which are a particular way for the electrical and magnetic fields to be changing) can carry electromagnetic energy from one place to another.

Likes nasu and sophiecentaur

1. Do all electromagnetic waves have both potential and kinetic energy?

Yes, all electromagnetic waves have both potential and kinetic energy. Potential energy is stored in the electric and magnetic fields of the wave, while kinetic energy is associated with the movement of the wave through space.

2. How is potential energy related to electromagnetic waves?

Potential energy is related to electromagnetic waves through the electric and magnetic fields. As the wave travels through space, these fields oscillate and store energy in the form of potential energy.

3. How does kinetic energy affect the behavior of electromagnetic waves?

Kinetic energy affects the behavior of electromagnetic waves by determining the speed and wavelength of the wave. The higher the kinetic energy, the faster the wave will travel and the shorter its wavelength will be.

4. Can electromagnetic waves transfer their energy to other objects?

Yes, electromagnetic waves can transfer their energy to other objects through a process called absorption. When an object absorbs an electromagnetic wave, it converts the energy into heat or other forms of energy.

5. What factors determine the amount of potential and kinetic energy in an electromagnetic wave?

The amount of potential and kinetic energy in an electromagnetic wave is determined by the frequency and amplitude of the wave. Higher frequencies and amplitudes correspond to higher energy levels.