Do Intervals [2,3] and [2,5] in Real Numbers Share the Same Cardinality?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether the two sets {x ε R : 2≤x≤3 } and {x ε R : 2≤x≤5 } have the same cardinality. The participants suggest using a bijection to determine this, and provide examples of possible maps. The conversation also touches on the fact that both sets are infinite, but this does not necessarily mean they have the same cardinality as other infinite sets such as the integers and rationals.
FelixHelix
Hi - I've got the following question but can't find any concrete information in my books on how to answer it and I'm slightly confused:

{x ε R : 2≤x≤3 } and {x ε R : 2≤x≤5 } Do they have the same cardinality?

My understanding of this is if you can find a mapping that satisifies a bijection then yes they do - but because the second set starts at 2 and not 4 I can't create this map and hence the second set will always be bigger. However they are both infinite so so do they share the cardinality ℂ?

Any ideas?

F

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: [0,1] and [0,2] have the same cardinality because the map

[tex]f:[0,1]\rightarrow [0,2]:x\rightarrow 2x[/tex]

is a bijection.

Can you find a bijection between your two sets??

Thanks. The only map I can see is (2^x) - x. I can't get from the second set back to the first. what is the preferred method to find this?

FelixHelix said:
Thanks. The only map I can see is (2^x) - x. I can't get from the second set back to the first. what is the preferred method to find this?

That's good too, but not what I had in mind. If you want to get from the second set to the first: just find the inverse map.

Note that in this case, you can always find a map of the form [itex]f(x)=ax+b[/itex] for certain a and b.

Ahh, I see. So y = 3x - 4 works!

FelixHelix said:
Ahh, I see. So y = 3x - 4 works!

Indeed!

FelixHelix said:
However they are both infinite so so do they share the cardinality ℂ?

Keep in mind that the integers and rational are both infinite also, but their cardinality is not c.

Related to Do Intervals [2,3] and [2,5] in Real Numbers Share the Same Cardinality?

1. What is cardinality?

Cardinality refers to the size or number of elements in a set. It can also be thought of as the measure of the "countability" of a set.

2. How is cardinality represented?

Cardinality is typically represented by the symbol |S|, where S is the set. For example, if a set S has 5 elements, its cardinality would be represented as |S| = 5.

3. What is the difference between cardinality and equivalence?

Cardinality and equivalence are two different concepts. Cardinality refers to the size or number of elements in a set, while equivalence refers to the relationship between two sets that have the same size or number of elements. Two sets are considered equivalent if there is a one-to-one correspondence between their elements.

4. How do you determine if two sets have the same cardinality?

To determine if two sets have the same cardinality, you can compare their sizes or number of elements. If they have the same number of elements, then they have the same cardinality. You can also use the concept of one-to-one correspondence to determine equivalence between sets, which also indicates the same cardinality.

5. Can two sets with different types of elements have the same cardinality?

Yes, two sets can have the same cardinality even if they have different types of elements. For example, the set of all even numbers and the set of all odd numbers have different types of elements, but they have the same cardinality because there is a one-to-one correspondence between them (each even number can be paired with an odd number).