Do magnets that attract actually touch?

• Thread starter Lunct
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnets
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of touch and whether or not atoms actually touch each other. One person explains that electrons with a negative charge create a gap between objects, including magnets. However, when magnets attract, the repelling force from the electrons still exists. The definition of touch is debated, but it is agreed that on an atomic level, two magnets behave similarly to when a finger touches an object. The idea of the poles of a magnet is also brought up, and it is mentioned that the Earth's poles are located well below the surface, similar to other real, permanently magnetized objects. Ultimately, it is concluded that the concept of touch is subjective and depends on one's definition, and atoms do not actually touch each other
Lunct
So I know why magnets repel, it is to do with the orbit of electrons and all that. I also know that you do not actually touch anything, there is an atom of gap between it or something like that, because the electrons have a negative charge. But when magnets attract, what is going on? And do they actually touch or is there still the gap in between them?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lunct said:
And do they actually touch or is there still the gap in between them?
In the end they repel each other even when they touch. The electromagnetic charge of the electrons prevents them to "touch" as it prevents us from falling through the earth. I mean most part of matter is actually a void. So what does "touch" mean, i.e. on which level?

Lunct said:
So I know why magnets repel, it is to do with the orbit of electrons and all that. I also know that you do not actually touch anything, there is an atom of gap between it or something like that, because the electrons have a negative charge. But when magnets attract, what is going on? And do they actually touch or is there still the gap in between them?
What exactly does "touch" mean? They answer to your question depends on how you answer that question.

Likes sophiecentaur
fresh_42 said:
In the end they repel each other even when they touch. The electromagnetic charge of the electrons prevents them to "touch" as it prevents us from falling through the earth. I mean most part of matter is actually a void. So what does "touch" mean, i.e. on which level?
phinds said:
What exactly does "touch" mean? They answer to your question depends on how you answer that question.
Okay then, do the magnets that attract come closer to each other on an atomic level than when I just touch an everyday object, or is the repel from the electrons having the same charge still at the same strength?

Lunct said:
Okay then, do the magnets that attract come closer to each other on an atomic level than when I just touch an everyday object, or is the repel from the electrons having the same charge still at the same strength?
This still depends on how you define "close", i.e. a distance. The charges don't change, they are only aligned. Since you can still separate them without destruction of the material, I'd say they are not as strongly bonded as the molecules in the material are. You need a force to do so, but this doesn't mean they are closer. But for details I better leave a more accurate answer to the physicists among us.

For all practical purposes, you touch things. If you think there is a gap between your finger and the other object then you also have to see a gap between the atoms in your finger. While that is a possible view, I don't think it is useful.

Two magnets close together, attracting each other, behave like your finger touching something.

Likes davenn
phinds said:
Dang - you got there first. :wink:

Atoms aren't like well defined hard edged balls, they are more like a ill defined cloud. The wave function of two atoms 1 meter apart actually overlap each other.

http://sciencequestionswithsurprisinganswers.org/2013/04/16/do-atoms-ever-actually-touch-each-other/

Likes Lunct
So in conclusion, it depends what you mean by touch.
Thanks for the answers.

Lunct said:
So in conclusion, it depends what you mean by touch.
Thanks for the answers.
Also, you need to consider there the 'Poles' of the magnets are located. The Earth is an extreme case where the Poles are considered to be well below the surface. Same thing must apply, in principle, to any real, permanently magnetised lump of material.

Lunct said:

But we already know this. The simplest "magnet" is the one produced by electrons due to its spin angular momentum. It is analogous to a magnetic dipole. And a He atom has two of them living within the same atom.

Zz.

Related to Do magnets that attract actually touch?

1. Do magnets that attract actually touch?

Yes, when two magnets are attracted to each other, they do touch. Although you cannot see it, there is a small gap between the two magnets where their magnetic fields interact.

2. How do magnets attract each other?

Magnets attract each other due to the magnetic fields they create. These fields are caused by the alignment of electrons within the magnet, which creates a force that pulls the magnets together.

3. Can magnets attract without touching?

Yes, magnets can attract each other without physically touching. This is because their magnetic fields can interact with each other across a distance, causing them to be attracted to each other.

4. Why do some magnets repel each other?

When two magnets have their poles facing each other, they can repel each other. This is because their magnetic fields are interacting in a way that causes a force of repulsion between the two magnets.

5. What happens when two magnets with opposite poles are brought together?

If two magnets with opposite poles (one north and one south) are brought together, they will attract each other. This is because their magnetic fields are interacting in a way that causes a force of attraction between the two magnets.