Do speed cameras use interferometers, and how do they work?

In summary, the use of a secondary method to measure speed in addition to the primary method that triggers the camera is required in the UK for prosecution to succeed. Digital cameras and image processing have made this method cheap and ubiquitous, so it is possible that speed cameras will become less necessary in the future.
Clever Penguin
If they work like I assume they do, by comparing the wavelength emitted with the wavelength reflected back, they might use an interferometer. If so, how does it work?

Physics news on Phys.org
Clever Penguin said:
If they work like I assume they do, by comparing the wavelength emitted with the wavelength reflected back, they might use an interferometer. If so, how does it work?
They don't use intergerometers. Speed radars use the Doppler shift to measure speed.

Likes Clever Penguin
I should also add that hand-held lidar speed guns are also quite common. These are based on the timing of light pulses. The thread title mentionned speed cameras, and to the best of my knowledge they still use Doppler radars.

Likes Clever Penguin
DrClaude said:
I should also add that hand-held lidar speed guns are also quite common. These are based on the timing of light pulses. The thread title mentionned speed cameras, and to the best of my knowledge they still use Doppler radars.

Both radar and lidar have been used, but it occurs to me that a video camera could do it for less money using image analysis.

Just use image analysis to measure the time for the car to pass two marks with a known distance between them. The same video images could capture the plate number and a photo of the driver.

You could even do it with a single still frame. Take a shot of the plate with a known shutter speed. The image will be blurred. Apply de-blurring to the image. The degree of de-blurring needed gives an estimate of vehicle speed.

Since digital cameras and image processing have become so cheap and ubiquitous, they could become competition for radar and lidar.

Likes Clever Penguin
anorlunda said:
Just use image analysis to measure the time for the car to pass two marks with a known distance between them. The same video images could capture the plate number and a photo of the driver.
In the UK, where I live, speed cameras that are used for prosecution are required by law to use an additional secondary method to measure speed as well as the primary method that triggers the camera. The two methods must give the same answer (within specified error bars) for a prosecution to succeed. In the case of Doppler radar cameras, the secondary method is photographic, pretty much as you described.

480px-Gatso.camera.arp.jpg

Example of UK road markings at a Doppler radar speed camera

Likes Clever Penguin
DrGreg said:
In the UK, where I live, speed cameras that are used for prosecution are required by law to use an additional secondary method to measure speed as well as the primary method that triggers the camera. The two methods must give the same answer (within specified error bars) for a prosecution to succeed. In the case of Doppler radar cameras, the secondary method is photographic, pretty much as you described.

That sounds pretty sensible for reasons of prosecution.

Looking to the future, I expect such devices to be also used for taxation. Motorists could be assessed micropayments every 100 meters or so using an algorithm based on time of day, lane used, and speed. Even inspection and registration violations could be addressed administratively by increased fees instead of criminal fines. If millions of such devices are deployed, the cost per device would become a major factor.

It can be fun to speculate on the social engineering made possible by technology. For example, a 55 mph national speed limit to save energy would be heavy handed and hated. But a use fee per mile that grows exponentially with each additional mph speed would be more subtle, especially if the exponent coefficient grew incrementally year by year. Politically, a scheme like that might succeed where a speed limit or a carbon tax would fail.

1. How do speed cameras use interferometers?

Speed cameras use interferometers to measure the speed of a vehicle by emitting a laser beam and measuring the time it takes for the beam to reflect off the vehicle and return to the camera. By using the principle of interference, the camera can accurately calculate the speed of the vehicle based on the change in frequency of the reflected beam.

2. Do all speed cameras use interferometers?

No, not all speed cameras use interferometers. Some speed cameras use other methods such as radar or lidar to measure vehicle speed. Interferometers are just one of the technologies that can be used in speed cameras.

3. How accurate are speed cameras that use interferometers?

Interferometer-based speed cameras are generally considered to be very accurate, with a margin of error of less than 1%. However, the accuracy can be affected by external factors such as weather conditions or the angle of the vehicle in relation to the camera.

4. Can interferometers in speed cameras be jammed or interfered with?

Yes, interferometers can be jammed or interfered with by using certain devices or materials that can disrupt the laser beam. However, this is illegal and can result in severe penalties. Speed cameras also have measures in place to detect and prevent any attempts at jamming or interfering with the interferometer.

5. Are there any alternatives to using interferometers in speed cameras?

Yes, there are alternatives to using interferometers in speed cameras, such as radar or lidar. These technologies may have different strengths and weaknesses and may be used in different types of speed cameras. It ultimately depends on the specific needs and regulations of the area where the speed camera is being used.