Do time-dependent and conservative vector fields exist?

In summary: I am beginner here).If you could summarize the conversation above, what would you say?In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of conservative vector fields and whether a time-varying vector field can be considered conservative. The participants also touch on the conditions that would allow a time-dependent field to be conservative and the role of manifolds in this concept. Additionally, there is mention of the non-conservative nature of natural orbital systems and a request for collaboration on further exploration of this topic.
fog37
Hello Forum,

A conservative vector field G(x,y,z) is one that can be expressed as the gradient of a scalar field P(x,y,z).

Could a time-varying vector field like D(x,y,z,t) be a conservative vector field? If not, why not? Can it be conservative (or not) at different time instants?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The spatial gradient doesn't act on the time variable. Can you reread the definition of "conservative vector field" from your book?.

Thanks.

I know that the gradient only operates on the spatial variables. But I also think there are some particular conditions that forbid a time-changing vector field to be conservative...Don't know what they are though...

fog37 said:
Thanks.

I know that the gradient only operates on the spatial variables. But I also think there are some particular conditions that forbid a time-changing vector field to be conservative...Don't know what they are though...
What does it mean for a vector field to be conservative? This directly poses strict conditions on a time dependent one.

Based on what I know, a conservative field is one whose line integral does not depend on the path but only on the starting and ending points. Hence, a closed path integral will always be zero regardless of the shape and length. I also know that the curl of a conservative field is zero.

Yes, and therefore any time dependent path, over a changing field has to add up to zero energy. Especially if you choose the same path and move along at any different, possibly varying speeds. This can only be done if constant in time. The only way out is to let time be part of space, then the question is meaningless.

Thanks fresh_42.
hope you have patience. I would like to understand your explanation.
Just to make sure. The paths, in space, are fixed. What changes over time is the vector field. The vector field can be vary in space (i.e. be non homogeneous) but change in time at every spatial point...

I am still not getting it :)

fog37 said:
Thanks fresh_42.
hope you have patience. I would like to understand your explanation.
Just to make sure. The paths, in space, are fixed. What changes over time is the vector field. The vector field can be vary in space (i.e. be non homogeneous) but change in time at every spatial point...

I am still not getting it :)
If you consider a special path, it is a parameterized function on the manifold, i.e. ##f: [0,1] \rightarrow M##. But it is not fixed, that you have to move by ##t \mapsto t##. You could as well move by ##t \mapsto t^2##. Now to always get the same path integral, ##0##, it cannot depend on where you are when. So there cannot be a change in time.

Thanks. But I don't know about manifolds yet. Sorry. I can handle vector calculus for now.

fog37 said:
Thanks. But I don't know about manifolds yet. Sorry. I can handle vector calculus for now.
That doesn't matter here. The vector field has to be somewhere. This somewhere is a manifold, e.g. a circle.
If it changes in time, the paths depend on when and where. A varying speed along a path will therefore effect the integral, which is forbidden.
Conservative means: nothing gained and nothing lost on a closed path. If you could gain something at a certain time, and gain nothing the next time you cross the point, then the field cannot be path independent.

I think to understand exactly what you have meant - have been in situation of late to prove that the natural orbital systems, starting from the Solar (Sun-Earth) - to atomic and galactical ones - are essentially non-conservative, while having been erroneously and totally incorrectly/misleading modeled as conservative (both regarding the alleged time-independent energy and angular momentum, as the zero-valued work over a closed path encompassing center - for introduction, please see
andor send me an e-mail at nedic.slbdn@gmail.com). I am quite positive that the line integral over unit-circle expressed in time-parameterized form would reveal non-zero line integral in the field of "central force" proportional to 1/r^2, whereby r is expressed as time-parameterized Keplerian ellipse, or in other words that the macro-circulation macro-curl/rotor) of such an time-dependent field would turned out to be non-zero ... Keen to cooperate on this?!

In relation to the just preceding post, I decided to upload the the file with the related article ...

Attachments

• Slobodan_Nedic - Non-conservativeness of Natural Orbital Systems - final.pdf
    367.4 KB · Views: 339

1. What is a time-dependent vector field?

A time-dependent vector field is a mathematical concept used in physics and engineering to describe a changing vector quantity over time. This means that the magnitude and direction of the vector at a specific point in space can vary as time passes.

2. What is a conservative vector field?

A conservative vector field is a vector field in which the line integral over any closed path is equal to zero. This means that the work done by the vector field in moving an object along a closed path is independent of the path taken and only depends on the starting and ending points.

3. Can a vector field be both time-dependent and conservative?

Yes, a vector field can be both time-dependent and conservative. This means that the magnitude and direction of the vector can change over time, but the work done by the vector field remains the same regardless of the path taken.

4. How do time-dependent and conservative vector fields relate to each other?

Time-dependent and conservative vector fields are related in the sense that a conservative vector field can be considered as a special case of a time-dependent vector field. This is because a conservative vector field is time-independent, and time-dependent vector fields can reduce to a conservative vector field under certain conditions.

5. Can time-dependent and conservative vector fields exist in real-world systems?

Yes, time-dependent and conservative vector fields can exist in real-world systems. Examples of these types of vector fields can be found in fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and other areas of physics and engineering. They are essential in understanding and analyzing the behavior of complex systems.