Does an inverse Riemann exist?

In summary: It's certainly possible to define your own notation, but it may cause confusion for others reading your work. In summary, there is no such thing as an "inverse Riemann" and switching the end points of an integral simply changes the sign. A Riemann sum is used as an approximation to a Riemann integral, and the summation symbol typically has the index increasing from the lower value to the upper value. There is no commonly used notation for a summation with a decremented index.
smilodont
I already googled this but I did not find a definite answer. Is there such a thing as a 'inverse riemann'? Specifically, where you invert the start number to be at the top of the riemann symbol and then decrement down to the end value which is on the bottom of the riemann symbol?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Thereis nothing special about the integral you described. Switching the end points simply means changing the sign of the integral.

Ok, explain what you mean. I had never seen that before.

Do you mean ##g(x):= \int_a^x f(t)dt ## , where x is a variable?

smilodont said:
Ok, explain what you mean. I had never seen that before.
[itex]\int_a^bf(x)dx=-\int_b^af(x)dx[/itex]

Smilodont: The name "Riemann" is associated with so many concepts that it would help a lot if you spelled out what you mean in some detail.

∑ is a riemann. You pointed out an integral. They are similar but not the same. I am talking about the riemann sum. hope that clarifies.

Riemann sum is used as approximation to Riemann integral. In that context what exactly is your question?

i am interested in the ∑ use. i was confused in calling it a riemann sum. too long since college. it's a summation symbol. what i was interested in is if you can put the higher value on the bottom and lower value on the top. If so, is that viewed as indicating you wish to decrement from the value at the top to the value at the bottom?

smilodont said:
∑ is a riemann.
No, the symbol ∑ represents a sum or summation. As far as I know there is no such thing as "a riemann," short of being a reference to someone with that name.
smilodont said:
You pointed out an integral. They are similar but not the same. I am talking about the riemann sum. hope that clarifies.

A summation typically looks something like this:
$$\sum_{j = 1}^n a_j$$
The index starts at the value at the bottom and increases up through the upper value above the summation symbol. I've never seen a summation where the index was decremented, and I don't think there is any commonly used notation to indicate this.

Related to Does an inverse Riemann exist?

1. What is an inverse Riemann?

An inverse Riemann is a mathematical function that is the inverse of the Riemann zeta function, which is a complex-valued function that has important applications in number theory and physics.

2. How does an inverse Riemann function work?

The inverse Riemann function is defined as the solution to the equation zeta(s) = x, where zeta(s) is the Riemann zeta function and x is a complex number. This means that for a given value of x, the inverse Riemann function will output the value of s that satisfies the equation.

3. What is the significance of an inverse Riemann function?

The inverse Riemann function has important applications in number theory, specifically in the study of prime numbers. It is also used in physics, particularly in the field of quantum mechanics, to describe the distribution of energy levels in quantum systems.

4. Is there a closed-form expression for the inverse Riemann function?

No, there is currently no known closed-form expression for the inverse Riemann function. However, there are numerical methods and algorithms that can be used to approximate its values.

5. Are there any unsolved problems related to the inverse Riemann function?

Yes, there are still many unsolved problems related to the inverse Riemann function, particularly in understanding its behavior for large values of x. This is known as the inverse Riemann hypothesis and is considered one of the most challenging problems in mathematics.