Does anyone know of any good problems on factorization?

In summary, the conversation discusses the collection of problems involving factorization and simplification for students and teachers. The problems cover a wide range of mathematical concepts such as logarithms, powers, and factorials. The speaker also suggests incorporating real-life scenarios into some of the problems to make them more interesting and relevant for students. Overall, the problems are seen as challenging and beneficial for students to practice their skills.
Nebuchadnezza
Now, for my students and fellow teachers. I am looking to collect a great amount of problems involving factorization, and simplifications of problems.

Below is a smal portion of the type of problems I am looking for.

"Rules")

1) Simplify a problem, until it can not be simplified anymore.
2) If a problem is not possible to simplify anymore, try to factor it.

--------------------------------------------------------

[tex]1) \qquad \frac{7}{\sqrt{7}}[/tex]
[tex]2) \qquad 2x^2 -1 + 2x^2[/tex]
[tex]3) \qquad x(x-1)-2(x-1)[/tex]
[tex]4) \qquad x^2+3x-2x-6[/tex]
[tex]4.1) \qquad \frac{t^2-6t+9}{t^2-8t+15}[/tex]
[tex]4.2) \qquad \frac{t^2 - 2t - 4}{2t + \sqrt{2}}[/tex]
[tex]5) \qquad \frac{1}{2} \ln \left( \frac{\sqrt{3}+\sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{3}-\sqrt{2}}\right) [/tex]
[tex]6) \qquad \big(\cos(x) + \sin(x)\big)^2+\big( \cos(x) - \sin(x) \big)^2[/tex]
[tex]7) \qquad \frac{3 - 4\sqrt{3}x}{\sqrt{3}}[/tex]
[tex]8) \qquad \frac{1-4y^2}{6y-3}[/tex]
[tex]9) \qquad \frac{\cos x \cdot (\sin x+1)^2 - \cos \cdot (\sin x-1)^2}{(\sin x)^4 - (\cos x)^4}[/tex]
[tex]10) \qquad \sqrt{4 - 2\sqrt{3}}[/tex]
[tex]10.1) \qquad \frac{2t^2-1}{2t + \sqrt{2}} [/tex]
[tex]11) \qquad \frac{2^{2x-1} - 2^{x-1}}{2^{2x-1}}[/tex]
[tex]12) \qquad \frac{\qquad\dfrac{5p+10}{p^2-4}\qquad}{\dfrac{3p-6}{(p-2)^2}}[/tex]
[tex]13) \qquad \sqrt[3]{\frac{x^3-6x^2+12x-8}{x^3+3x^2+3x+1}}[/tex]
[tex]14) \qquad y^2 - 4 - x^2 + 4x[/tex]
[tex]15) \qquad \sqrt{9x^2-6x+1}[/tex]
[tex]16) \qquad \ln \left( \sqrt{x-1} \right) \exp \left( \ln(4) + \ln \left( \frac{1}{2} \right)\right)[/tex]
[tex]17) \qquad \sqrt[\Large 4]{\dfrac{6 - 2\sqrt{5}}{6 + 2\sqrt{5}}}[/tex]
[tex]18) \qquad \dfrac{\left( 1 + \dfrac{1}{\sqrt[4]{x}}\right) (x-1)}{\left( 1 + \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{x}}\right)}[/tex]
[tex]19) \qquad \dfrac{x^{\frac{3}{2}} \cdot \sqrt[2]{\frac{y}{x} \cdot }\left( x^2 - 2x y^3 + y^6 \right) }{\left( \sqrt{x} - \sqrt{y^3} \right) x \left( \sqrt{x} + \sqrt{y^3} \right) }[/tex]
[tex]20) \qquad \Large 2^{\frac{\log\left( \frac{100}{x}\right) - 1 }{- \log(2)}}[/tex]
[tex]21) \qquad x^6-2x^3+1[/tex]
[tex]22) \qquad x^6+3x^4+3x^2+1[/tex]
[tex]23) \qquad x^3+x^2-x-1[/tex]
[tex]24) \qquad (2k+1)^8-1[/tex]
[tex]25) \qquad x^3 + 1[/tex]
[tex]26) \qquad x^4 + 1[/tex]
[tex]27) \qquad x^4 + x^2 + 1[/tex]
[tex]28) \qquad \sqrt{18(\sqrt[3]10 - 2)} [/tex]
[tex]29) \qquad \frac{n! + (n-1)n!}{(n-2)!} [/tex]
[tex]30) \qquad \sqrt{12 + 5 \sqrt 6}[/tex]
[tex]31) \qquad \sqrt{\frac{1}3 \sqrt{6} (12 + 5\ \sqrt 6)}[/tex]
[tex]32) \qquad x^4-6x^3+11x^2-6x+1[/tex]
[tex]33) \qquad x^4+6x^3-5x^2-10x-3[/tex]
[tex]34) \qquad \sqrt{1 + \sin 2x}[/tex]
[tex]35) \qquad x(x+1)(x+2)(x+3) - 120 [/tex]
[tex]37) \qquad \sqrt{ \frac{1}{1 + \sin x } } [/tex]
[tex]37.1) \qquad \frac{\sin t + \sin 3t}{\cos 3t + \cos t} [/tex]
[tex]38) \qquad \sqrt[3]{26+15\sqrt{3}}[/tex]
[tex]39) \qquad x^5+x+1[/tex]
[tex]40) \qquad \sqrt{2^{6/7}}[/tex]

--------------------------------------------------------

I would also want some opinions on these. Of course I am not asking anyone to solve any of these
, just feedback if they are good or bad problems.

Do anyone here know any similar problems regarding fun problems to simplify or factor?
It can be anything from elementary algebra, logarithms, powers, factorials, etc
. =)

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! As a fellow scientist and teacher, I believe that these are great problems for students to practice their skills in simplification and factorization. They cover a wide range of mathematical concepts and can challenge students at different levels. I particularly like the problems involving logarithms and powers, as those can be tricky for students to understand at first.

In addition to these problems, I would suggest incorporating real-life scenarios or applications into some of the problems. This can make the problems more interesting and relevant for students. For example, you can ask students to simplify or factor an equation that represents the growth of a population over time, or the amount of interest earned on a loan. This can help students see the practical applications of these mathematical skills.

Overall, I think these are great problems and I'm sure your students will benefit from practicing them. Keep up the good work!

Related to Does anyone know of any good problems on factorization?

What is factorization?

Factorization is the process of breaking down a number into its smaller, prime factors. For example, the factors of 12 are 2, 2, and 3, since 2x2x3=12. This process is commonly used in math to simplify expressions and solve equations.

Why is factorization important?

Factorization is important because it allows us to express large numbers and complex expressions in a simpler form. It also helps us to understand the properties and relationships between numbers. In addition, factorization is useful in cryptography and coding theory.

What are some common methods for factorization?

The most common method for factorization is trial division, where we test potential factors to see if they divide evenly into the given number. Other methods include prime factorization, which involves finding the prime factors of a number, and factoring by grouping, which involves rearranging terms in an expression to find common factors.

Are there any real-life applications of factorization?

Yes, factorization has many real-life applications. In finance, it is used in calculating interest rates and determining the best investment strategies. In computer science, factorization is used in data compression algorithms and error correction codes. It also has applications in physics, chemistry, and other fields of science.

Are there any good problems on factorization that are commonly used in math competitions?

Yes, there are many good problems on factorization that are commonly used in math competitions. These problems often involve finding the prime factorization of a number, determining the number of factors a given number has, or using factorization to solve equations. Some examples of such problems include the "Locker Problem" and the "Prime Factorization Contest."