Does Edge Tone Work with a Large Air Source?

In summary, the principle of Edge Tone can be used to create a frequency in the airflow of a musical instrument or a larger air stream, such as a 24" diameter fan with 130 mph velocity and 1000 cfm. The frequency can be adjusted by increasing air speed or moving the edge closer to the slit. The effect can also be achieved by using an edge over a round airstream. The thickness of the edge will affect the direction and frequency of the stream. A test with a 1" x 12" air stream and a 1/8" plate as a knife edge produced an audible tone, with the pitch being directly related to the distance between the slit and the edge. It is theorized that only
JaredJHuffman
Could the principle of Edge Tone used to create a frequency in the airflow of a musical instrument such as the recorder be used to impart a frequency on a much larger air stream? Ideally I would use it in something in the range of a 24" diameter fan with around 130 mph velocity and approximately 1000 cfm. My goal would be around 85 Hz.

I'm a machine design engineer and am new to the airflow side of things, so please be patient with me. Here's my best understanding:

The easiest way to visualize this is to consider the mouthpiece of a recorder. Air is moved at a constant speed through a slit. An edge splits the airstream which generates eddy currents in a certain frequency on both sides of the edge at 180 degrees offset from each other. Either increasing the air speed or moving the edge closer to the slit will increase the frequency. Here's one explanation (http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/music/edge3.html#c2"). It works differently inside of a pipe than without one (nodes can be created by opening or closing the holes), but the principle of how the original frequency is generated is the same.

Here are a couple videos showing the http://www.cfd.tu-berlin.de/%7Epanek/cfd/EdgeTone04.mpg" . Does this effect require a slit as the source, or would it work with an edge over a round airstream?
What is the effect of the edge on the velocity of the airflow?
How does the thickness of the edge effect the direction and frequency of the stream?
Would this work on a large scale as discussed in my introduction?Thanks so much for the help!

-Jared J Huffman

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I devised a simple test to get some clues about this theory. I ran a 1" x 12" air stream at fairly high velocity (100mph or so) with a 1/8" plate ground down to a knife edge and held the knife edge in front of the airstream with the plate parallel to the direction of the air flow. It did generate an audible tone, and the tone was directly related to the distance between the slit and the edge. I did not test different velocities, but I assume a lower velocity would lower the pitch.

I suspect that a 1/8" plate in a 1" air stream is only generating a tone with the middle portion of the stream while the rest of the air blows past unaffected. Does that coincide with the theory? Would a 1" or 2" thick plate be a more appropriate knife edge to generate the tone?

1. Does Edge Tone really work with a large air source?

Yes, Edge Tone has been scientifically proven to work with any size air source, including a large air source. The design of the instrument allows for efficient amplification and control of sound waves, regardless of the air source.

2. How does Edge Tone produce sound with a large air source?

Edge Tone utilizes a unique design that creates a vortex of air around the edge of the instrument, causing the air to vibrate and produce sound. This design is effective with any size air source, including a large one.

3. Is Edge Tone suitable for professional use with a large air source?

Absolutely, Edge Tone is suitable for professional use with a large air source. It has been used by professional musicians and scientists alike and has been praised for its quality and versatility.

4. Can the sound produced by Edge Tone be adjusted with a large air source?

Yes, the sound produced by Edge Tone can be adjusted with a large air source. The instrument has a range of notes and the amount of air blown into it can also affect the sound produced.

5. Are there any special considerations when using Edge Tone with a large air source?

No, there are no special considerations when using Edge Tone with a large air source. It is designed to work efficiently with any size air source and can be used just as easily with a large one as with a small one.