Does friction always result in energy loss?

In summary, the ball will slide if the ramp is frictionless and there is no force to make it rotate. With friction, the ball may or may not lose energy depending on whether it slides or not. Friction is a nonconservative force, but if it only makes the ball rotate, mechanical energy is not lost. The energy loss through friction can be negligible, except in cases like a lot of sand on the ramp or extreme precision measurements. Air resistance can also be a form of friction, but it is usually negligible. In a vacuum, these effects can be ignored.
TheCanadian
Hi,

If I have a ball at the top of a ramp, it will have rotational and translational kinetic energy as it begins moving. If the ramp was frictionless, just to confirm, would it be possible for the ball to rotate or would it just slide with the point of contact on the ramp fixed?

Also, if there is friction and the ball is allowed to rotate, will the ball lose energy while it goes from the top of the ramp to the bottom? To my understanding, friction is a nonconservative force and will result in energy dissipated from the system (i.e. the ball). But in this case, if friction is necessary for the ball to rotate, would I have to account for a loss of energy term when trying to figure out the ball's position, speed, and acceleration as it moves on the ramp? In this case, is the energy loss through friction negligible? Would it ever not be negligible?

Physics news on Phys.org
TheCanadian said:
Hi,

If I have a ball at the top of a ramp, it will have rotational and translational kinetic energy as it begins moving. If the ramp was frictionless, just to confirm, would it be possible for the ball to rotate or would it just slide with the point of contact on the ramp fixed? (1)

Also, if there is friction and the ball is allowed to rotate, will the ball lose energy while it goes from the top of the ramp to the bottom? (2)

To my understanding, friction is a nonconservative force and will result in energy dissipated from the system (i.e. the ball). (3)
But in this case, if friction is necessary for the ball to rotate, would I have to account for a loss of energy term when trying to figure out the ball's position, speed, and acceleration as it moves on the ramp? In this case, is the energy loss through friction negligible? (4)
Would it ever not be negligible? (5)

(1) Yes: slide. There is no force to make it rotate.
(2) not necessarily: if it doesn't slide at all the friction force does no work.
(3) mechanical energy is not lost if the friction force only makes the ball rotate (see (2) )
(4) can be safely ignored for e.g. a returning bowling ball that rolls up the ramp for the next shot.
(5) e.g. if there's a lot of sand on a ramp

--

Likes TheCanadian
BvU is correct about the ramp, although there is another form of friction- air resistance. Again, it is very negligible, however you would account for it if you want EXTREMELY precise measurements.

Yeah, for a styrofoam ball in heavy fog this doesn't fly at all. So let's assume vacuum :smile:

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the motion of two objects in contact with each other. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities on the surface of objects that come into contact.

2. How does friction result in energy loss?

Friction always results in energy loss because it converts kinetic energy (the energy of motion) into heat energy. This happens because the irregularities on the surface of objects create resistance, which causes the objects to slow down and lose energy.

3. Are there any cases where friction does not result in energy loss?

In some rare cases, friction may not result in energy loss. For example, in a perfectly elastic collision, where there is no deformation or change in shape of the objects involved, the kinetic energy may not be lost.

4. Can friction ever be beneficial?

Yes, friction can be beneficial in some situations. For example, friction is necessary for walking, as it provides the necessary grip to move forward. It is also essential for stopping a moving object, such as a car, as it helps to slow it down and prevent accidents.

5. How can we reduce the effects of friction?

There are several ways to reduce the effects of friction. One way is to use lubricants, such as oil or grease, to reduce the contact between two surfaces. Another way is to use materials that are slicker or smoother, which will decrease the amount of friction. Additionally, minimizing the force or pressure between two surfaces can also reduce the effects of friction.