Does light bend due to gravitational tides?

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of light around massive objects and the uncertainty principle. The idea of light vibrating is brought up and it is clarified that light does not vibrate from side to side like a transverse wave. The concept of using Huygens principle is suggested for a more accurate understanding. The conversation ends with a recommendation to focus on classical EM waves rather than trying to determine the behavior of a photon.
newjerseyrunner
I was wondering if the way that light vibrates causes it to bend slightly while moving around an object with extreme mass (on top of the bend caused by relativity.) I was drawing what I thought the path of a photon should be around a massive object, but the uncertainty principal bugged me. Am I correct that a photon can be in any location along it's wave function? I imagine a photon like a rubber band, constantly stretching and snapping back at it's frequency and magnitude depending on it's energy.

So if I draw the path as a sine-wave with it's average path being a straight line in the middle of it, the crests of the sine wave are closer to the massive object than the troths. Wouldn't this cause a tidal gravity effect that would be detectable above the bending caused by relativity, and the size of the wave would cause larger waves like radio to be bent more than high energy waves? Or does the photon act as though it's precisely on it's mean trajectory?

Science news on Phys.org
Although light is often drawn as if it were a transverse wave, even in the classical description, it is not one. Nor does a photon vibrate from side to side.

Likes newjerseyrunner
newjerseyrunner said:
So if I draw the path as a sine-wave with it's average path being a straight line in the middle of it, the crests of the sine wave are closer to the massive object than the troths.

The sine waves are graphical representations of the strength and directions of the magnetic and electric field vectors associated with an EM wave. In other words, the sine waves tell you which direction the force from each component points and how strong it is at any point in time. A photon does not move in a squiggly, sine wave pattern. You can't really associate a path with a photon anyways, but that gets into some complicated quantum physics. I recommend sticking to classical EM waves and not trying to figure out what a photon will do.

1. How does light bend due to gravitational tides?

Light bends due to gravitational tides because of the curvature of spacetime caused by the massive objects that create the tides. This curvature affects the path of light, causing it to bend as it travels through the altered spacetime.

2. Can light be affected by gravitational tides from distant objects?

Yes, light can be affected by gravitational tides from distant objects. The strength of the gravitational tides decreases with distance, but if the object is massive enough, even distant objects can cause light to bend.

3. Does the amount of bending of light depend on the strength of the gravitational tides?

Yes, the amount of bending of light does depend on the strength of the gravitational tides. The stronger the tides, the greater the curvature of spacetime and the more significant the bending of light will be.

4. Can we observe the bending of light due to gravitational tides?

Yes, we can observe the bending of light due to gravitational tides. This effect is known as gravitational lensing and has been observed and studied by scientists. It has even been used to discover and study distant objects, such as galaxies and black holes.

5. Are there any other factors besides gravitational tides that can cause light to bend?

Yes, there are other factors besides gravitational tides that can cause light to bend. The presence of massive objects, such as stars and galaxies, can also cause light to bend through their gravitational pull. Additionally, the expansion of the universe can also cause light to bend as it travels through space.