Does Light Travel Through Fiber Optic Cable Generate EMF?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether light traveling through a fiber optic cable generates an electromagnetic field and if it behaves similarly to electrons in a metal wire. It is clarified that light is an electromagnetic field and behaves as a wave with reflection and refraction properties. It is also noted that there is no parallel between electrons and photons, as photons do not have charge or mass.
Sayagain
Does light traveling through a fiber optic cable generate any sort of detectable electromagnetic field? Please forgive the stupid question. It’s something that popped into mind recently and google hasn’t adequately answered for me. I’m not a scientist or physicist. :blushing:

Science news on Phys.org
Light is an electromagnetic field.
Outside the fiber, not counting the ends of it: No, unless the fiber is broken (or unless you use so much light that it warms up and emits more infrared radiation).

Thanks. I was curious if photons traveling along fiber optics behaved like electrons tracking along a metal wire. I was thinking about undersea cables and started wondering if fiber optic cables would be detectable by sea creatures such as sharks. No particular reason, just something that popped into my head this evening. :biggrin:

Sayagain said:
Thanks. I was curious if photons traveling along fiber optics behaved like electrons tracking along a metal wire
forget photons
treating the light in the fibre with classical physics is all your need
treat the light as a wave with all the usual reflection and refraction properties

Sayagain said:
Thanks. I was curious if photons traveling along fiber optics behaved like electrons tracking along a metal wire.
There is no parallel here. Electrons have a charge and it is the moving charge that creates the external field. Photons have no charge (or mass) so they do not behave in the same way.

Thank you. It makes perfect sense to me now.

1. What is EMF and how does it relate to fiber optic cables?

EMF stands for electromagnetic field, which is a physical field produced by electrically charged objects. Fiber optic cables use light to transmit data, and this light generates a small amount of EMF as it travels through the cable.

2. Is the EMF produced by fiber optic cables harmful to humans?

The EMF generated by fiber optic cables is very low and considered to be safe for humans. In fact, it is significantly lower than the EMF produced by other everyday devices such as cell phones and microwaves.

3. Can the EMF from fiber optic cables interfere with other electronic devices?

Since the EMF produced by fiber optic cables is very low, it is unlikely to interfere with other electronic devices. However, it is still recommended to keep fiber optic cables away from sensitive electronic equipment to prevent any potential interference.

4. Does the amount of data being transmitted through the fiber optic cable affect the level of EMF produced?

The amount of data being transmitted through the fiber optic cable does not significantly affect the level of EMF produced. This is because the EMF is primarily generated by the light source and not the data itself.

5. Are there any safety precautions that should be taken when working with fiber optic cables and EMF?

As mentioned earlier, the EMF produced by fiber optic cables is very low and not considered harmful. However, it is always recommended to follow safety protocols when working with any type of electronic equipment. This includes properly grounding the cables and wearing appropriate protective gear when necessary.