Does one of Maxwell's equations describe this magnetic field?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a copper enamel wire wound into a circle/ellipse with 20 turns to create a magnetic field using a DC source. The field is picked up by a Hall effect sensor connected to LEDs. The group is debating between Faraday's law of induction and Ampere-Maxwell law to describe the system, with the latter being the preferred choice. The conversation also touches on Maxwell's equations and how they describe electric and magnetic fields, while the Lorentz force is responsible for the Hall effect. Ultimately, the group concludes that Lorentz's law is needed to fully understand and describe the system.
hyperion4
I have some copper enamel wire, winded up into something of a circle/ellipse, with about 20 turns, and the purpose for it is to give me a decent magnetic field (which it does) using a DC source. The magnetic field is picked up by a hall effect sensor on a nearby circuit, which is connected to some LEDs, which in turn light up when the field is detected.

I'm stuck between 2 of Maxwell's equations which ought to describe my system:
1. Faraday's law of induction (only problem is that this describes a time-varying magnetic field, which can only come about from an AC source..right?)
2. Ampere-Maxwell law (or Ampere's circuital law. But this doesn't explain how the LED's are turned on..it just says an electric current will give me a magnetic field).

I'm thinking 2 best describes my system? Yes I get a magnetic field, and that is picked up by the sensor...but isn't Faraday's law of induction specifically meant for wireless power, ie, turning on light bulbs and the likes?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Hall effect is due to the magnetic force on the electrons moving through a conductor that is in a magnetic field. Maxwell's equations don't describe forces.

Maxwell's equations describe electric and magnetic fields, which in turn give rise to electric and magnetic forces; why else are they described as vectors, or vector fields? Plus the Lorentz Force is related to the hall effect, and it's also related to Faraday's law of induction.

The Hall effect sensor takes in a magnetic field as an input, and outputs a voltage, or electric field: doesn't this mean one of Maxwell's equations is at work? Ampere-Maxwell law seems to best describe it.

Or do I have this the wrong way around? Thanks.

Maxwell's equations describe the generation of electric and magnetic fields as a result of charges, currents, and time changes in the fields themselves.

The equations do not say how these fields affect charges and currents. That's Lorentz's law, which completes the picture.

Hmm I see then. Can my system still be described by Faraday's law of induction, or Ampere-Maxwell law, at least superficially?

No. You need Lorentz's law (and Newton's 2nd law). The voltage you find is precisely from a zero Lorentz force:

f = q(E + v cross B0)

With no motion, the second term is zero and the electrons distribute themselves so that the electric field is zero inside the conductor (steady state solution will have no net force). When there is motion, the electrons re-distribute themselves into a new steady state where qE precisely opposes q*v cross B. The electric field does indeed arise from Gauss's law, but the charge distribution you would need to use in Gauss's law cannot be found without doing a force balance, and the Lorentz expression is crucial to link forces to EM fields.

Thanks for that..kinda makes more sense.

1. What are Maxwell's equations and what do they describe?

Maxwell's equations are a set of four fundamental equations in electromagnetism that describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields, as well as how they interact with electric charges and currents.

2. How is a magnetic field described in one of Maxwell's equations?

A magnetic field is described in one of Maxwell's equations - specifically, Ampere's Law - as being generated by a flow of electric current. This equation also relates the magnetic field to the distribution of electric charges.

3. What is the significance of Maxwell's equations in science?

Maxwell's equations are of great importance in science, particularly in the fields of electromagnetism and optics. They have been instrumental in our understanding of light, electricity, and magnetism, and have led to developments such as radio, television, and other forms of communication.

4. How do Maxwell's equations support the existence of electromagnetic waves?

One of Maxwell's equations - the famous "Maxwell's equations" - describes how a changing electric field can generate a magnetic field, and vice versa. This means that when an electric charge is accelerated, it creates a disturbance in the electric and magnetic fields, which can propagate as an electromagnetic wave.

5. Can Maxwell's equations be used to describe all types of magnetic fields?

Yes, Maxwell's equations are universal and can be used to describe all types of magnetic fields, including static, changing, and oscillating magnetic fields. They are also valid for both macroscopic and microscopic systems, making them an incredibly powerful tool in the study of electromagnetism.