Does PF allow insertion of Figures and Plots to threads?

• Thread starter Dukon
  • Start date
In summary: In the PF text entry box, click UPLOAD, which opens a control that you use to find the image and upload it to PF.This did not work either. Do you have a link to a tutorial or something?I cannot find a tutorial on how to use the Whiteboard.I cannot find a tutorial on how to use the Whiteboard.
Dukon
Does PhysicsForums (PF) allow insertion of figures & plots like it allows insertions of latex equations? if someone knows how to insert a graph of some sort, I'd like to write down some equations but also be able to add some plots based on some of the equations. What format would the figures have to be in? pdf? gif? jpg? LateX has some graphics insertion routines which I use, but those require some "usepackage" commands and then maybe those define new commands, etc.. If PF has a native way to insert figures and plots, that's what I'm after. I would not expect I could just insert my latex header commands since that gets too big sometimes and one would think the PF thread overhead already takes care of that

Any PF graphics insertion help would be super.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
PF doesn't run LaTeX. It runs MathJax, which can interpret some LaTeX commands and output typeset equations. External packages will not work.

To include figures, just click on the upload button at the bottom of the editing window. Afterwards, you can include the full image or a preview in the text.

Thank you for the heads up on the MathJax bit. Understood.

DrClaude said:
To include figures, just click on the upload button at the bottom of the editing window. Afterwards, you can include the full image or a preview in the text.

ok so I understand you to mean I "upload" and navigate to any plot figure I have anywhere, and then I can "preview" it as much as I like. Will it become clear in the preview how I can control its position in the thread?

Thank you for the feedback

Clicking Upload will allow you to browse through your local files.

Once you have uploaded the image, it will appear below the edit window, with two buttons, Thumbnail and Full Image. Clicking on either will insert the image in the edit window where the cursor is.

perfect, thank you!

All the usual image formats (gif, png, jpg, bmp, ...) should work.
The preview will show if it worked.

You might try writing your code in notepad, then copy, paste and preview.

@Doug Brown, in addition to what others have said here, you can whip up quick sketches using the WHITEBOARD feature (the button is at the lower right of the input pane). I've used it a number of times to make quick graphs and sketches.

Mark44 said:
@Doug Brown, in addition to what others have said here, you can whip up quick sketches using the WHITEBOARD feature (the button is at the lower right of the input pane). I've used it a number of times to make quick graphs and sketches.
I tried using the Whiteboard functionality but it did not work.

symbolipoint said:
I tried using the Whiteboard functionality but it did not work.
You create an image in another window, and you have to save it to your computer somewhere, then upload it like you would a regular image. I've used it a number of times -- it does work.

Mark44 said:
You create an image in another window, and you have to save it to your computer somewhere, then upload it like you would a regular image. I've used it a number of times -- it does work.
I did what you said, and it did not work. The only option I have is to try again using a different computer.

Here's a quick one I did.
1. Click WHITEBOARD. This opens another browser window, titled "PF Whiteboard - Internet Explorer" -- If your default browser is Google Chrome or Apple Safari, I suppose it will say that in the title.
2. Use the various drawing tools to create the image. I used the tool with geometric shapes to make the box, then used the T tool to add the text.
3. Click Save Snapshot. This brings up a control that you can use to specify where the image will be saved.
4. In the PF text entry box, click UPLOAD, which opens a control that you use to find the image and upload it to PF.

Voila!

Snapshot.jpg

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Mark44 said:
1. Click WHITEBOARD. This opens another browser window, titled "PF Whiteboard - Internet Explorer" -- If your default browser is Google Chrome or Apple Safari, I suppose it will say that in the title.
On my Android, clicking on Whiteboard brings up a blank window devoid of all else.

NascentOxygen said:
On my Android, clicking on Whiteboard brings up a blank window devoid of all else.
My assumption was that a real computer was being used.

Likes mfb

Related to Does PF allow insertion of Figures and Plots to threads?

1. Can I insert figures and plots into my forum thread on PF?

Yes, PF does allow the insertion of figures and plots into forum threads. This can help to illustrate your point and make your thread more visually appealing.

2. What types of figures and plots can I insert?

You can insert various types of figures and plots, including images, graphs, charts, and diagrams. These can be uploaded from your computer or inserted using a URL link.

3. How do I insert a figure or plot into my thread?

To insert a figure or plot, click on the "Insert image" button in the forum thread editor. This will allow you to either upload an image from your computer or insert an image using a URL link. Once inserted, you can resize and position the figure or plot as desired.

4. Is there a limit to the number of figures and plots I can insert?

No, there is no limit to the number of figures and plots you can insert into a forum thread on PF. However, it is recommended to use them sparingly and only when necessary to avoid clutter and distractions.

5. Can I edit or remove a figure or plot after it has been inserted?

Yes, you can edit or remove a figure or plot after it has been inserted into your thread. Simply click on the figure or plot and select the "Edit" or "Remove" option. Keep in mind that removing a figure or plot will also remove it from any replies or quotes that reference it.