Does temperature effect how easily something is magnetized?

In summary, the alignment of domains in a substance will be better at lower temperatures, making it easier to magnetize. However, at higher temperatures, the domains are more free to move and align, potentially making it easier to magnetize as well. Cooling a magnet can also increase its strength by allowing the domains to maintain alignment. This is known as Curie's law and is related to ferromagnetism.
Nathew
Say if a certain substance is heated to 500 K is it easier to magnetize than if it were at any lower temperature?

Does temp effect the duration of magnetism?

Physics news on Phys.org
In terms of temperature affecting magnetism, I'm pretty sure the domains will align in a better fashion if they are moving less (lower temperature).

kitoper said:
In terms of temperature affecting magnetism, I'm pretty sure the domains will align in a better fashion if they are moving less (lower temperature).

But at higher temps the domains are more free to move and more easily aligned? No?

Whether or not the magnet can be magnetized more easily at higher temperatures is beyond me. I am rather sure, however, that cooling a magnet allows the domains to maintain alignment thus increasing it's strength.

Last edited:

1. What is the relationship between temperature and magnetization?

The relationship between temperature and magnetization is inversely proportional. This means that as temperature increases, the ease of magnetization decreases, and vice versa.

2. How does temperature affect the strength of a magnet?

Higher temperatures will cause a decrease in the strength of a magnet. This is because the thermal energy disrupts the alignment of the magnetic domains, making it more difficult for them to stay aligned and maintain their strength.

3. Can temperature affect the magnetization of all materials?

No, temperature only affects the magnetization of materials that exhibit ferromagnetism, such as iron, cobalt, and nickel. These materials have strong magnetic properties, while other materials like copper or aluminum do not.

4. Is there a specific temperature at which a material becomes non-magnetic?

Yes, there is a specific temperature called the Curie temperature, above which a material loses its magnetic properties. This temperature varies for different materials and can be affected by factors such as impurities and external magnetic fields.

5. Can temperature affect the magnetization of a permanent magnet?

Yes, high temperatures can demagnetize a permanent magnet. This is because the thermal energy disrupts the alignment of the magnetic domains, causing them to lose their magnetic properties. However, once the magnet is cooled down, it can regain its magnetization.