Does the concept of dipole moment of charged molecule exist or not?

In summary, the concept of dipole moment can be applied to both neutral and charged systems, with the value depending on the choice of origin. The center of charge is commonly used as the origin for charged systems. The dipole moment is calculated using a multipole moment expansion and is affected by changes in the origin. The books "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by Griffiths and "Classical Electrodynamics" by Jackson provide more information on this topic.
linwenzi
Generally the concept of dipole moment is used in neutral system, ie the total positive charge equals to the total negtive charge.
Could the concept and also the calculation be used in charged system?

For example, NaOH, (Na+)(O-2)(H+), we can calculate its dipole moment.
Could I calculate the dipole moment of (OH)- alone?

If yes, is there a authoritative definition in some book or papers?

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course the dipole moment can be calculated also for charged systems. However, its value depends on the choice of origin. Usually one uses the center of charge as origin to fix the value.

It's just a series expansion of the electric potential in 1/distance; the presence of a monopole term doesn't mean there might not also be dipole or quadrupole terms, just that the monopole term is likely to dominate in the far field. Griffiths has a good section on this and should be in any physics library.

DrDu said:
Of course the dipole moment can be calculated also for charged systems. However, its value depends on the choice of origin. Usually one uses the center of charge as origin to fix the value.

Many thanks for your reply.

I searched some papers that claim the dipole moment of charged molecule depends on the origin and molecular orientation as you said.
Unfortunately I cannot find any research papers or books telling the detials of calculation of charged molecules as you said to use the center of charge as origin .

If possible, could you give some references?

Thanks again!

The dipole moment is
## \mathbf{d}=\sum_i (\mathbf{r}_i-\mathbf{R})q_i ## where ##q_i## is the charge of the i-th particle in the molecule and ##\mathbf{r}_i## its position. ##\mathbf{R}## is the center around which a multipole moment expansion is done. Changing the center ##\mathbf{R}\to \mathbf{R}+\Delta \mathbf{R} ## changes the dipole moment by ## \Delta \mathbf{d}=\sum_i (-\Delta \mathbf{R})q_i =-\Delta \mathbf{R} Q##, where Q is the total charge of the molecule.
The book by Griffiths "Introduction to Electrodynamics" or "Classical Electrodynamics" by Jackson should contain ample information of multipole expansions.

MikeyW said:
It's just a series expansion of the electric potential in 1/distance; the presence of a monopole term doesn't mean there might not also be dipole or quadrupole terms, just that the monopole term is likely to dominate in the far field. Griffiths has a good section on this and should be in any physics library.

Thank you very much for your reply!

DrDu said:
The dipole moment is
## \mathbf{d}=\sum_i (\mathbf{r}_i-\mathbf{R})q_i ## where ##q_i## is the charge of the i-th particle in the molecule and ##\mathbf{r}_i## its position. ##\mathbf{R}## is the center around which a multipole moment expansion is done. Changing the center ##\mathbf{R}\to \mathbf{R}+\Delta \mathbf{R} ## changes the dipole moment by ## \Delta \mathbf{d}=\sum_i (-\Delta \mathbf{R})q_i =-\Delta \mathbf{R} Q##, where Q is the total charge of the molecule.
The book by Griffiths "Introduction to Electrodynamics" or "Classical Electrodynamics" by Jackson should contain ample information of multipole expansions.

It's very helpful.
Thank you very much for your help!

1. What is a dipole moment of a charged molecule?

The dipole moment of a charged molecule is a measure of the separation and magnitude of the positive and negative charges within the molecule. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both direction and magnitude, and is typically measured in units of Debye (D).

2. How is the dipole moment of a charged molecule calculated?

The dipole moment of a charged molecule is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the charge on each atom by the distance between them, and then taking the vector sum of all the individual dipole moments within the molecule. This can be done using mathematical equations or through computational methods such as quantum mechanics.

3. What factors affect the dipole moment of a charged molecule?

The dipole moment of a charged molecule is influenced by several factors, including the magnitude and distribution of the charges within the molecule, the electronegativity of the atoms involved, and the molecular geometry. Additionally, external electric fields can also affect the dipole moment of a molecule.

4. Why is the concept of dipole moment important in chemistry?

The concept of dipole moment is important in chemistry because it provides insight into the polarity and reactivity of molecules. It also helps to explain various physical and chemical properties of substances, such as solubility, boiling point, and melting point.

5. Do all molecules have a dipole moment?

No, not all molecules have a dipole moment. Molecules that have symmetrical distributions of charge, such as nonpolar molecules like carbon dioxide or methane, have a net dipole moment of zero. However, molecules with an asymmetrical distribution of charge, such as polar molecules like water or ammonia, do have a dipole moment.