Does the density of a liquid affect the braking of an object in free fall when it lands?

Arbegator
TL;DR Summary
If two objects with big diffrence in density but the same size travel through a liquid closer to the density of one of the objects, does it slow down the free fall?
In mine hypothesis I want to slow down free fall for diffrent density objects in liqudies. I have a stone wich i roughly a denisty of 2,7 g/ml and gold with 19,7 g/ml. They have the same size. Liquied glucose has the density of roughly 1,5 g/ml. In my example, I drop at the same time in a 1 meter pipe with glucose. How does the density affect the buoyancy with free fall? Does Viscosity matter in this case? Will gold fall faster?
Thank you for your help with trying to sort this out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. :smile:

It certainly seems like it will have some effect. Can you post links to the reading you have been doing so far on this question?

Also, is this question for schoolwork? Thanks.

Last edited:
Arbegator said:
How does the density affect the buoyancy with free fall? Does Viscosity matter in this case?
Density is important because the driving force is due to the weight, less the buoyancy of the object in the fluid.

Viscosity is critical in that it is part of the drag equation. Terminal velocity is reached when the falling body drag balances the driving force.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_(physics)#Very_low_Reynolds_numbers:_Stokes'_drag

Likes russ_watters

1. How does the density of a liquid affect the braking of an object in free fall when it lands?

The density of a liquid can affect the braking of an object in free fall when it lands in several ways. First, the denser the liquid, the more resistance it will provide to the object as it falls through it. This can slow down the object's descent and decrease its impact upon landing. Additionally, the viscosity of the liquid can also play a role in the braking of the object. A more viscous liquid will provide more resistance and slow down the object's fall more than a less viscous liquid.

2. Is the density of the liquid the only factor that affects the braking of an object in free fall?

No, the density of the liquid is not the only factor that affects the braking of an object in free fall. Other factors such as the shape and size of the object, the speed at which it is falling, and the surface tension of the liquid can also impact the braking of the object. These factors can all work together to determine the overall braking force on the object as it falls through the liquid.

3. Can the density of the liquid affect the distance an object travels before coming to a complete stop?

Yes, the density of the liquid can affect the distance an object travels before coming to a complete stop. A denser liquid will provide more resistance to the object, slowing it down and decreasing the distance it travels before stopping. On the other hand, a less dense liquid will provide less resistance and allow the object to travel a greater distance before coming to a stop.

4. How do the properties of the liquid affect the braking of an object in free fall?

The properties of the liquid, such as density, viscosity, and surface tension, all play a role in the braking of an object in free fall. These properties determine the resistance the liquid will provide to the object as it falls through it. A denser, more viscous, and higher surface tension liquid will all provide more resistance and slow down the object's fall more than a less dense, less viscous, and lower surface tension liquid.

5. Is there a specific density of liquid that is most effective in braking an object in free fall?

There is no specific density of liquid that is most effective in braking an object in free fall. The effectiveness of the braking depends on various factors, such as the properties of the liquid, the shape and size of the object, and the speed at which it is falling. A denser liquid may be more effective in slowing down a larger, heavier object, while a less dense liquid may be more effective for a smaller, lighter object. Ultimately, the most effective density of liquid will vary depending on the specific circumstances of the object's fall.