Does the Direction of Current Affect Ohm's Law Sign Convention?

In summary, the negative sign in the voltage indicates that the current is flowing in the opposite direction of what is shown in the diagram. It does not matter which direction you traverse the circuit, the current will still be negative. This is because the negative sign only indicates the direction of the current, not the numerical value. Additionally, the orientation of the current in the 4 Ω resistor can be chosen arbitrarily without affecting the overall result.
Neon32
Here the voltage is negative so the current is negative. does it matter if I traverse the circuit through the other direction?
upload_2017-10-25_21-43-47.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-25_21-43-11.png
    upload_2017-10-25_21-43-11.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 549
  • upload_2017-10-25_21-43-47.png
    upload_2017-10-25_21-43-47.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 1,316
Physics news on Phys.org
The negative sign means that the current is actually in the opposite direction that you have shown in the diagram.

The answer does not depend on how you traverse the circuit.

Sure it does. Why is your sign negative?

I think I did not make my meaning clear. The actual direction of the current (irrespective of what you initially choose in the diagram) and the numerical value of the current do not depend on how you decide to traverse the circuit.
If we go round the circuit as shown in the diagram, keeping the direction of current also as indicated in the diagram, and use standard loop law:

-5V - I (6Ω) + 3V - I (4Ω) = 0, giving a current of - 0.2 A, as Neon32 got. As Kuruman points out, the negative sign simply means that the actual current is opposite to what was shown in the diagram. so the actual current is going counterclockwise round the circuit

On the other hand, keeping the current as it is in the diagram, we can traverse the circuit in the anticlockwise direction, and get:

+5V + I (6Ω) - 3V + I (4Ω) = 0, giving a current again of - 0.2 A, with again the same interpretation of the negative sign. This is what I mean when I said the answer does not depend on the sense of traversing the circuit.

You're right. I misunderstood what "traversing" meant. Indeed, if you traverse the circuit clockwise or counterclockwise, as long as you assume that the current through the 4 Ω resistor is to the right as indicated by the arrow you drew, then you will get a negative value for the current. The negative sign means that the current through the 4 Ω resistor flows to the left. You can see why this is because the right side of that resistor is connected to the positive terminal of a 5 V battery while the left side is connected to the positive terminal of a 3 V battery. Thus, the right side is at higher potential than the left and current flows right to left regardless oh how you draw the arrow or traverse the circuit.

Absolutely. And nothing prevents you from assuming, to start with, that the current is from right to left in the 4 Ω resistor (anticlockwise round the loop), and then, whichever way you traverse the loop, you will get a positive current, as you should.

1. What is the sign convention used in Ohm's law?

The sign convention used in Ohm's law is called the passive sign convention, which states that the current flows from the positive terminal of a voltage source to the negative terminal.

2. Why is the passive sign convention used in Ohm's law?

The passive sign convention is used in Ohm's law because it follows the direction of electron flow and is consistent with the direction of current in most electronic devices and circuits.

3. What happens if the sign convention is not followed in Ohm's law?

If the sign convention is not followed in Ohm's law, the calculated voltage, current, and resistance values will have opposite signs, which can lead to incorrect results and confusion in circuit analysis.

4. Is the passive sign convention the only sign convention used in circuit analysis?

No, there is also the active sign convention, which is used in certain special cases, such as when analyzing active components like transistors and amplifiers.

5. How does the sign convention affect the polarity of voltage and current in a circuit?

The sign convention does not affect the polarity of voltage and current in a circuit. The polarity of voltage is determined by the direction of current flow and the orientation of the voltage source, while the direction of current is determined by the polarity of the voltage source and the direction of electron flow.