Does the kinetic theory work for solids?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between enthalpy and internal energy in a lump of iron being warmed. The group explores whether the same principles that apply to gases, such as the constant relationship between pressure, volume, and temperature, also apply to solids. It is concluded that the assumptions of the kinetic theory of gases do not hold true for solids due to factors such as intermolecular distances and potential energy. The group encourages the individual to consider these factors in their calculations.
Jamessamuel
Hello all,

i have been asked a question about a lump of iron being warmed, and to calculate the difference between enthalpy and internal energy. I did some algebra and found that the change in the product pV , in the case of a liquid would suffice. But, since the volume doesn't change (Assumed, still solid) the change is down to the pressure. Now, for a gas, pV/T is a constant so i would argue that if T increases, p should increase. But does this whole idea work for a solid? does it exert a pressure, and does it manifest in such a form that my fluid derivations (pV/T = constant) hold for said solid?

Regards,

James.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't think so. A lot of things that hold true for gases such as weak attractive forces, large intermolecular distances etc. just aren't true for solids. So the same laws don't apply.

Just look at the assumptions that are the basis of simple Kinetic Theory. The gas laws, based on simple kinetic theory, fail as soon as the molecules start to interact (as the gas is more and more compressed). Once that happens, some of the internal energy takes the form of Potential Energy (bonds stretching and compressing; referred to as Van der Waall's forces etc.). In a solid or liquid, this is a massive factor as the molecules are all so close together.

Jamessamuel said:
Hello all,

i have been asked a question about a lump of iron being warmed, and to calculate the difference between enthalpy and internal energy. I did some algebra and found that the change in the product pV , in the case of a liquid would suffice. But, since the volume doesn't change (Assumed, still solid) the change is down to the pressure. Now, for a gas, pV/T is a constant so i would argue that if T increases, p should increase. But does this whole idea work for a solid? does it exert a pressure, and does it manifest in such a form that my fluid derivations (pV/T = constant) hold for said solid?

Regards,

James.

As has been eluded to, you should have learned about the assumptions of the kinetic theory of gases. So look at them and figure out how many of those assumptions are not valid for a solid. Have you done this?

If you have, and it still doesn't answer your question, then please explain why you think all of the assumptions are still valid for a solid.

Zz.

1. What is the kinetic theory?

The kinetic theory is a scientific model that explains the behavior of particles in a substance based on their motion and energy. It states that all particles are in constant motion, and their kinetic energy increases with temperature.

2. Does the kinetic theory apply to solids?

Yes, the kinetic theory applies to all states of matter, including solids. Even though the particles in a solid are tightly packed and have limited movement, they still have kinetic energy and vibrate in place.

3. How does the kinetic theory explain the properties of solids?

The kinetic theory explains the properties of solids by stating that the particles in a solid are constantly vibrating and colliding with each other. This motion causes solids to have a fixed shape and volume, be relatively incompressible, and have a high density.

4. Are there any limitations to the kinetic theory for solids?

Yes, there are limitations to the kinetic theory for solids. It does not fully explain certain properties of solids, such as their ability to conduct heat and electricity, as these depend on the structure and arrangement of particles in a solid.

5. How does the kinetic theory relate to the concept of temperature in solids?

The kinetic theory states that temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a substance. In solids, higher temperatures result in increased vibrational motion of particles, which can lead to changes in the solid's physical properties.