Does the mechanical advantage change if the load applies force?

In summary, if the load is also applying force to a simple pulley system, the mechanical advantage remains at 2:1. The distance the load moves will change, but the force required to raise the load will remain the same.
Levi R
Hello, I am here to ask if anyone would help answer a question for me, in regards to a simple pulley system. The question is, does the mechanical advantage of a system change if the load is also the what is applying force to the system? Thank you for any answer you choose to give.

Physics news on Phys.org
To explain a bit more: The system in the photo is generally accepted to offer a 2:1 MA. My question is: would the MA of this system be changed if the load were a climber who also was putting the effort into the system. Thanks!
double-pulley-system-323590.jpg

:welcome:

Your question sounds confusing. It sounds like you are saying that the pulley is stayed to the load and nothing else. Isn't it started to a fixed point also?

Thank you for the welcome and apologies for the confusion.

Imagine that the "load" in the above image were a person and that person was also providing the force to the effort leg of rope. Would this still be a 2:1 MA?

If the other person's feet pushed on the floor, the answer is different. If the other person just rides in the box, his weight acts link a fixed weight.

But a person in the box could hoist himself up by pulling where the first person pulled. The 2:1 mechanical advantage still applies.

Thank you.

Does anybody care to agree or disagree with the above statement? Personally I agree however I have run into a large body of individuals who asserts that if the load does the hauling then somehow this system turns to a 3:1 MA. Thanks.

Levi R said:
Does anybody care to agree or disagree with the above statement? Personally I agree however I have run into a large body of individuals who asserts that if the load does the hauling then somehow this system turns to a 3:1 MA. Thanks.
You are correct, @anorlunda is incorrect (or is answering an unintended question).
If you are hanging from beneath the pulley and are also pulling downward on the rope, the tension in all three lengths of rope (you to upper pulley, upper pulley to lower pulley and lower pulley to fixed point) are equal and all three are supporting you. The simple algorithm of counting the lines works and computes a mechanical advantage of three to one.

Likes anorlunda
To understand why, remember that a machine trades between force and distance that you pull the rope. If you are riding on the load, you move up while the rope moves down, so the distance you pull the rope is effectively longer (in your frame of reference) for the same amount of rise.

1. What is mechanical advantage?

Mechanical advantage refers to the ratio of the output force to the input force in a simple machine or mechanical system. It is a measure of how much a machine amplifies or multiplies the force applied to it.

2. How is mechanical advantage calculated?

Mechanical advantage is calculated by dividing the output force by the input force. The formula for mechanical advantage is:

MA = output force / input force

3. What is the difference between ideal and actual mechanical advantage?

Ideal mechanical advantage refers to the theoretical maximum mechanical advantage of a machine, assuming no energy loss. Actual mechanical advantage takes into account energy losses due to friction and other factors, and is always lower than the ideal mechanical advantage.

4. What are some examples of simple machines and their mechanical advantages?

Some examples of simple machines and their mechanical advantages include:

• Lever: MA = distance from fulcrum to input force / distance from fulcrum to output force
  • Inclined plane: MA = length of ramp / height of ramp
  • Pulley: MA = number of supporting ropes
  • Wheel and axle: MA = radius of wheel / radius of axle

5. How does knowledge of mechanical advantage impact real-world applications?

Understanding mechanical advantage is crucial in designing and using machines efficiently and effectively. It allows us to determine the amount of force needed to accomplish a task, and to choose the best type of machine for a specific job. Additionally, knowledge of mechanical advantage can help us identify and reduce sources of energy loss in machines, leading to more sustainable and cost-effective solutions.