Does the single diffraction work for sound wave

In summary, the single slit diffraction happens when there is 1 slit only. The diffraction pattern depends on the slit geometry. The single slit diffraction does not work for sound wave.
Deathnote777
PIC (A)
http://imageshack.us/a/img37/941/img20130104192537.th.jpg

PIC (B)
http://imageshack.us/a/img23/5496/img20130104192554.th.jpg

I hope you can ans it in a simple way as I am just a secondary 6 student :) thx!

For pic a,
1. I dun understand why interference occurs when there is 1 slit only. My teacher told me to divide the slit into 2 part. But why ?
2. Does the single slit diffraction happen when the slit is in circular shape ? Will it work when I use the normal one ? ("young single slit")
3. Can the single diffraction be demonstrated in water bath ? Just like the experiment of young double slit in water.
4. Does the single diffraction work for sound wave ?

For pic b
1. Why diffraction happen in lens?

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
1. I dun understand why interference occurs when there is 1 slit only. My teacher told me to divide the slit into 2 part. But why ?
Interference happens as soon as there is more than one "way" light can take. In a single slit, you get interference between light passing at the upper edge, the lower edge and everything in between.

You get interference with every type of slit, but the diffraction pattern depends on the slit geometry.

You can demonstrate single-slit interference with water waves, but the result does not look so nice. The same is true for sound.

Deathnote777 said:
PIC (A)

. . . . . .
For pic b
1. Why diffraction happen in lens?

Your teacher may have missed out a step when he told you to divide the slit into two. The fact is that any aperture / hole / slot of finite width allows light to take many paths through it. To find the resulting diffraction pattern it happens to be convenient to divide the slit into two halves and to work out the effect of pairs of infinitely small sources adding together. The problem then reduces to the simple two slit case with the slits very close together and, hence, the spacing between the nulls will be wide.

There are many times when people choose apparently arbitrary ways of getting solutions to problems (like when you solve simultaneous equations and multiply them and add them so as to eliminate one of the variables - because it works). Why do you take the turnings that you do on your journey home? Because you've done it before and you know the best way. Same thing with all those bits of book work in Science. As you progress with your Science, you will learn all those dodges and they will cease to puzzle you.

Why do you get diffraction through a lens? Diffraction is the result of limiting the number of paths that the light can take (yes, even the very indirect paths count).The only time there is NO diffraction is when there is a totally unobstructed path from source to image and all lenses have a finite width (aperture). So there will always be some degree of diffraction - less for a wide lens and more for a small lens.

PS Please avoid text speak abbreviations. It is a matter of courtesy, particularly for the more ancient (and potentially helpful) forum members. There is no character limit for these posts and you wouldn't want to appear 'ignorant', would you?

1. Does single diffraction only work for light waves?

No, single diffraction can also occur with sound waves. In fact, diffraction is a fundamental property of all types of waves, including light, sound, and water waves.

2. How does single diffraction work for sound waves?

Single diffraction for sound waves occurs when the waves pass through a single slit or obstacle. The wavefronts bend around the edges of the slit, creating a diffraction pattern on the other side. This can be observed as changes in the intensity and direction of the sound waves.

3. Can single diffraction be observed with human hearing?

Yes, humans can perceive the effects of single diffraction with their hearing. For example, if you stand in a doorway and listen to a sound coming from the other room, you may notice that the sound seems to get louder and softer as you move to different parts of the doorway. This is due to single diffraction of the sound waves around the edges of the doorway.

4. What factors affect the amount of single diffraction for sound waves?

The amount of single diffraction for sound waves depends on several factors, including the wavelength of the sound waves, the size of the slit or obstacle, and the distance between the source and the observer. Generally, the longer the wavelength and the smaller the slit, the greater the diffraction effect will be.

5. What is the practical application of understanding single diffraction for sound waves?

Understanding single diffraction for sound waves has several practical applications. It is essential in designing acoustic spaces, such as concert halls and recording studios, to ensure optimal sound quality. It is also used in medical imaging techniques, such as ultrasound, to create images using diffraction patterns. Additionally, it is crucial in engineering and designing sound equipment, such as speakers and microphones, for optimal performance.