Does the speed of sound change in metal when heated?

In summary, the speed of sound in a material can be affected by various factors, including temperature and density. While it is likely that the speed of sound would change through a heated piece of metal compared to one at ambient temperature, there may be other variables at play. Further research on the topic, such as looking at the speed of sound in materials and relevant equations, could provide more insight. This question has also been previously discussed in a forum back in 2011.
volican
Is the speed of sound different through the same piece of metal when it is heated compared to when at ambient temperature?

Physics news on Phys.org
volican said:
Is the speed of sound different through the same piece of metal when it is heated compared to when at ambient temperature?
What are your thoughts? What things affect the speed of sound in a material?

I'm thinking it does because the density would be different.

volican said:
I'm thinking it does because the density would be different.
I would think so too, but I think the speed of sound in a material depends on other things as well. I'd look up the speed of sound in materials (maybe start at Wikipedia), and look at the equation there.

Likes jbriggs444

What is the speed of sound through metal?

The speed of sound through metal varies depending on the type of metal and its properties. Generally, it ranges from 2,500 meters per second to 6,000 meters per second.

How does the speed of sound through metal compare to other materials?

Compared to other materials, such as air or water, sound travels much faster through metal due to its higher density and stiffness.

What factors affect the speed of sound through metal?

The speed of sound through metal is affected by the type of metal, its temperature, and its density. Higher temperatures and densities generally result in faster sound speeds.

Why is the speed of sound through metal important to study?

The speed of sound through metal is important to study for various reasons, such as understanding the properties and behavior of metals, designing efficient structures and machinery, and predicting the effects of high temperatures and pressures on metal materials.

How is the speed of sound through metal measured?

The speed of sound through metal can be measured using various methods, including ultrasonic testing, laser interferometry, and resonance techniques. These methods involve sending a sound wave through the metal and measuring the time it takes to travel through a known distance.