Does the spin angular momentum count?

In summary, the total angular momentum of a body orbiting around an axis can be calculated by adding the angular momentum of the centre of mass and the spin angular momentum. This is because the rotational angular momentum does not cancel out, but rather adds extra angular momentum about a point. This can be proven through the expansion of the expression for total angular momentum.
christang_1023
Taking the Earth orbiting the sun as an example, when I consider the angular momentum of the Earth about the sun, should the spin angular momentum be counted?
I'm confused that if it's counted, the spin angular momentum, Lcm=Icm×ωspin, is different from other angular momentum regarding the sun as the axis.

Physics news on Phys.org
christang_1023 said:
Taking the Earth orbiting the sun as an example, when I consider the angular momentum of the Earth about the sun, should the spin angular momentum be counted?
I'm confused that if it's counted, the spin angular momentum, Lcm=Icm×ωspin, is different from other angular momentum regarding the sun as the axis.

"Counted" in what sense?

PeroK said:
"Counted" in what sense?
Sorry, my English is not that good.
I was trying to say if I calculate the total angular momentum of the Earth about the axis, do I need to add the spin angular momentum of the earth?

christang_1023 said:
Sorry, my English is not that good.
I was trying to say if I calculate the total angular momentum of the Earth about the axis, do I need to add the spin angular momentum of the earth?

About what axis?

PeroK said:
About what axis?
the sun

christang_1023 said:
the sun

Okay. In general, you have a body with an angular momentum about a given point. And that body is also rotating about an axis through its centre of mass. Your question is whether the rotation about the centre of mass gives additional angular momentum about a point? Or, whether the rotational angular momentum cancels out?

What do you think the answer is?

PeroK said:
Okay. In general, you have a body with an angular momentum about a given point. And that body is also rotating about an axis through its centre of mass. Your question is whether the rotation about the centre of mass gives additional angular momentum about a point? Or, whether the rotational angular momentum cancels out?

What do you think the answer is?

$$\vec{L}=\sum \vec{r_{i}}\times \vec{p_{i}}=\sum \vec{r_{i}}\times (\vec{p_{i}^{cm}}+\vec{p_{cm}})=\sum \vec{r_{i}} \times \vec{p_{i}^{cm}}+\sum \vec{r_{i}} \times \vec{p_{cm}}$$

Because in the center of mass reference, the total momentum is equal to 0, can I say the rotational angular momentum cancels out?

christang_1023 said:
$$\vec{L}=\sum \vec{r_{i}}\times \vec{p_{i}}=\sum \vec{r_{i}}\times (\vec{p_{i}^{cm}}+\vec{p_{cm}})=\sum \vec{r_{i}} \times \vec{p_{i}^{cm}}+\sum \vec{r_{i}} \times \vec{p_{cm}}$$

Because in the center of mass reference, the total momentum is equal to 0, can I say the rotational angular momentum cancels out?

You need to take ##\vec{r_i} = \vec{r}_{cm} + \vec{q_i}## and ##\vec{p_i} = m_i\vec{v}_i = m_i(\vec{v}_{cm} + \vec{u_i})##.

Where ##q, u## are the displacements and velocities relative to the centre of mass.

To answer the question, think about the angular momentum about the centre of the object.

Likes christang_1023
PeroK said:
You need to take ##\vec{r_i} = \vec{r}_{cm} + \vec{q_i}## and ##\vec{p_i} = m_i\vec{v}_i = m_i(\vec{v}_{cm} + \vec{u_i})##.

Where ##q, u## are the displacements and velocities relative to the centre of mass.

To answer the question, think about the angular momentum about the centre of the object.
Thank you for your useful hints. I get $$ \vec{L_{tot}}=\sum m_{i}\vec{q_i} \times \vec{u_i}+\sum M_{tot}\vec{r_{cm}} \times \vec{v_{cm}}=\vec{L_{spin}}+\vec{L_{orbit}} $$, so does it mean that the rotational angular momentum actually add extra angular momentum about a point instead of cancelling out?

christang_1023 said:
Thank you for your useful hints. I get $$ \vec{L_{tot}}=\sum m_{i}\vec{q_i} \times \vec{u_i}+\sum M_{tot}\vec{r_{cm}} \times \vec{v_{cm}}=\vec{L_{spin}}+\vec{L_{orbit}} $$, so does it mean that the rotational angular momentum actually add extra angular momentum about a point instead of cancelling out?

Yes, the total angular momentum is the angular momentum of the centre of mass plus the spin angular momentum. You can prove it by expanding the expression in post #7 as I suggested in post #8. Two of the terms are zero, and the other two are as required.

Likes christang_1023
PeroK said:
Yes, the total angular momentum is the angular momentum of the centre of mass plus the spin angular momentum. You can prove it by expanding the expression in post #7 as I suggested in post #8. Two of the terms are zero, and the other two are as required.
I get what you said, and thank you very much! :wink:

1. Does the spin angular momentum contribute to an object's total angular momentum?

Yes, the spin angular momentum is one component of an object's total angular momentum. It is the intrinsic angular momentum of a spinning object, such as an electron or a nucleus.

2. How is spin angular momentum different from orbital angular momentum?

Orbital angular momentum is the angular momentum of an object due to its motion around an axis, while spin angular momentum is the angular momentum of an object due to its internal rotation or spin.

3. Can spin angular momentum be measured?

Yes, spin angular momentum can be measured using various techniques, such as electron spin resonance or nuclear magnetic resonance.

4. Is spin angular momentum conserved?

Yes, according to the law of conservation of angular momentum, the total angular momentum of a closed system, including both spin and orbital angular momentum, remains constant.

5. How does spin angular momentum affect an object's properties?

Spin angular momentum can affect an object's properties in various ways, such as determining its magnetic moment and influencing its interactions with other particles or fields.