Does this help solve the Riemann Hypothesis?

In summary: I meant to say that by setting ##\zeta (s)## to zero, we can solve for ##\Re (s)## in terms of the other variables. However, as pointed out in the next comment, this approach does not work as there are infinitely many zeros of the zeta-function. In summary, the conversation is discussing the possibility of using an inverse zeta-function to solve the Riemann hypothesis, but this is not feasible as there are infinitely many zeros of the zeta-function and it is not possible to have a single value for the inverse zeta-function. Additionally, the approach presented in the conversation does not solve for ##\Re (s)## as it appears on both sides of the equation.
MevsEinstein
TL;DR Summary
I created an equation with the real part of the input of the zeta function on the RHS and a complex expression on the LHS
Hello PF!

If ##\Re (s)## is the real part of ##s## and ##\Im (s)## is the imaginary part, then t is very easy to prove that $$\zeta (s) = \zeta ( \Re (s) ) \zeta ( \Im (s)i) - \displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n^{\Re (s)}} [\displaystyle\sum_{k \in S, \mathbb{Z} \S = n} \frac{1}{k^{\Im(s)i}}]$$ Since the second term simplifies to ## \zeta ( \Re (s) ) \zeta ( \Im (s)i) - \zeta (s)##. (##\mathbb{Z} \S = n## is actually ##\mathbb{Z}## \##S
## = ##n##). Now, solving for ##\Re (s)## gets us $$\zeta^{-1} ({\frac{\zeta (s) + \displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n^{\Re (s)}}[ \displaystyle\sum_{k \in S, \mathbb{Z} \S = n} \frac{1}{k^{\Im (s)i}}]}{\zeta (\Im (s)i)}}) = \Re (s)$$ Setting ##\zeta (s)## to zero gives us the equation we were looking for. Now I am thinking, could this help solve the Riemann hypothesis? Or will this just spit out ##\Re (s)##? I mean, the inverse zeta function is very complicated (page 43 of https://arxiv.org/pdf/2106.06915.pdf ), so it's hard to tell.

Last edited:
  • Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy and malawi_glenn
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The short answer is a simple no.

And there is no such thing as an inverse zeta-function. Let us assume for a second that there is ##\zeta^{-1}.## Then ##\zeta(s)=0## means ##s=\zeta^{-1}(\zeta(s))=\zeta^{-1}(0)##. However, there are infinitely many zeros of the zeta-function. How could that be just a single value ##\zeta^{-1}(0)?## The pre-image ##\zeta^{-1}(\{0\})## is an entire, infinite set. No way to make this a function.

You have to be careful with the zeta-function. E.g., ##\zeta(-1)=-\dfrac{1}{12}## but ##1+2+3+\ldots \neq -\dfrac{1}{12}.## I am not sure what you are doing here so I cannot comment your equations. If you want to even understand the Riemann hypothesis then you should study
https://www.physicsforums.com/insig...thesis-and-ramanujans-sum/#toggle-id-1-closed

• Informative
Likes nuuskur, berkeman, malawi_glenn and 1 other person
To be fair, your first sentence beginning with
I created an equation..
is already alarming and strongly advises to ignore what follows. :frown:

MevsEinstein said:
Now, solving for ##\Re (s)## gets us $$\zeta^{-1} ({\frac{\zeta (s) + \displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n^{\Re (s)}}[ \displaystyle\sum_{k \in S, \mathbb{Z} \S = n} \frac{1}{k^{\Im (s)i}}]}{\zeta (\Im (s)i)}}) = \Re (s)$$
Ignoring all other possible problems, how is this solving for ##\Re (s)##? It appears on both sides!

martinbn said:
how is this solving for ##\Re (s)##? It appears on both sides!
Oops, sorry about that.

1. What is the Riemann Hypothesis?

The Riemann Hypothesis is a famous unsolved problem in mathematics that deals with the distribution of prime numbers. It was first proposed by Bernhard Riemann in 1859 and states that all non-trivial zeros of the Riemann zeta function lie on the critical line of 1/2.

2. Why is solving the Riemann Hypothesis important?

The Riemann Hypothesis has significant implications in number theory and has connections to many other areas of mathematics. Its solution could potentially lead to a better understanding of prime numbers and their distribution, as well as help solve other mathematical problems that are currently unsolved.

3. How close are we to solving the Riemann Hypothesis?

As of now, the Riemann Hypothesis remains unsolved. Many mathematicians have attempted to prove or disprove it, but so far no one has been successful. Some progress has been made in proving certain aspects of the hypothesis, but a complete proof has yet to be found.

4. What are some approaches being used to solve the Riemann Hypothesis?

There are various approaches being used to tackle the Riemann Hypothesis, including analytic number theory, algebraic geometry, and complex analysis. Some mathematicians also use computer-assisted methods to search for counterexamples or make conjectures about the hypothesis.

5. If the Riemann Hypothesis is solved, what impact will it have on the field of mathematics?

If the Riemann Hypothesis is solved, it would be considered one of the most significant achievements in mathematics. It would not only provide a solution to a long-standing problem but also open up new avenues for research and potentially lead to breakthroughs in other areas of mathematics.