Doing proofs: Setting an expression as a variable

In summary, the proof shows that if m and n are odd, then (m)(n) is also odd. This is proven by first assigning m and n as (2a+1) and (2b+1), and then showing that the product of these two expressions is also in the form 2t+1, where t is any natural number. This is based on the definition of an odd number as 2t+1, with t being any natural number. The proof also addresses questions about the rules for assigning expressions to variables and the definition of an odd number in relation to the proof. It is important to note that the definitions of a prime number (2m-1 or 2n+1) do
opus
Gold Member
In a book I'm reading, I'm told to prove that: If m and n are odd, then (m)(n) is odd.

The proof goes as such:

Let m=(2a+1) and n=(2b+1)

Then,
mn= (2a+1)(2b+1) = 4ab+2a+2b+1 = 2(2ab+a+b)+1 = 2t+1 ; where t= 2ab+a+b

Two questions:

When we take an expression, and assign it to a single variable, what rules must we abide by? Can we do this for any situation? My reasoning tells me the step is correct because the definition for an odd number is 2t+1, with t being any natural number. However, how can we be sure that the expression, for which we defined as t, will give a natural number? What's to say that expression can't give a negative number, which would make the solution to the proof false?

My second question is in regards to the definition of a prime as it relates to this proof. To my understanding, there are two ways to define a prime number.
1) 2m-1, where m is any integer
2) 2n+1, where n is any natural number

Would both of these definitions work for this proof?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
opus said:
However, how can we be sure that the expression, for which we defined as t, will give a natural number?
It is part of the axioms of arithmetic on the natural numbers that the addition of two natural numbers gives a natural number, and the multiplication of two natural numbers does so too. Since a and b are assumed to be natural numbers and the expression 2ab+a+b = ((((2*a)*b)+a)+b) is obtained by doing two multiplications and two additions, starting with natural numbers, it follows that the value of the expression is a natural number.
opus said:
My second question is in regards to the definition of a prime as it relates to this proof
I think you mean 'odd number' rather than 'prime', no? Which one works depends on what definition of natural numbers you are using. Some definitions include 0 while others start at 1. For the former we could not use 2m-1 as that does not give a natural number when m=0. I think it is more common to include 0 in the natural numbers (the Peano axiomatisation, linked above, includes 0), in which case we need to use 2m+1 to denote an odd number.

Likes opus
opus said:
In a book I'm reading, I'm told to prove that: If m and n are odd, then (m)(n) is odd.

The proof goes as such:

Let m=(2a+1) and n=(2b+1)

Then,
mn= (2a+1)(2b+1) = 4ab+2a+2b+1 = 2(2ab+a+b)+1 = 2t+1 ; where t= 2ab+a+b

Two questions:

When we take an expression, and assign it to a single variable, what rules must we abide by? Can we do this for any situation? My reasoning tells me the step is correct because the definition for an odd number is 2t+1, with t being any natural number. However, how can we be sure that the expression, for which we defined as t, will give a natural number?
Very good observation. It has to be shown. However, it's quite obvious for ##a## and ##b## are. But formally, it has to be shown.
What's to say that expression can't give a negative number, which would make the solution to the proof false?
No. Odd and even extend to negative integers as well. All that counts is, whether the remainder of a division by two is one (odd) or zero (even). Thus zero is even.
My second question is in regards to the definition of a prime as it relates to this proof. To my understanding, there are two ways to define a prime number.
1) 2m-1, where m is any integer
2) 2n+1, where n is any natural number
Those are not prime. They are odd. And as said above, the sign is irrelevant.
Would both of these definitions work for this proof?
Basically yes. But only if the author had been carefully enough and spoke of integers instead of natural numbers, in which case the trouble starts: is zero a natural number, or do we start with one? If we write odd numbers ##2m-1##, then ##m\ge 1##, if we write ##2n+1## then ##n\ge 0##, but does this collide with what we said about zero being a natural number or not? Forget about ##\mathbb{N} ## here, ##\mathbb{Z}## is the relevant set for number, group, ring and in part module theory.

Likes opus
Ok that clears things up for me. And yes, I meant to say "odd" not "prime".
In the book, the author distinguishes the difference between 2n+1 and 2n-1, saying that we can write an odd integer as 2n+1 if we allow n to be a natural number. I just wasn't sure if they were saying different things to accomplish the same end, and if that had any effect on the proof.
Thank you!

1. What is the purpose of setting an expression as a variable when doing proofs?

Setting an expression as a variable allows us to manipulate and simplify complex equations or statements. This can make proofs easier to understand and solve.

2. How do you choose which expression to set as a variable in a proof?

When choosing an expression to set as a variable, look for the most complex or difficult part of the equation. This will allow you to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts.

3. What are the benefits of setting an expression as a variable rather than leaving it as is?

By setting an expression as a variable, we can easily substitute different values for the variable and see how it affects the rest of the equation. This can help us understand the relationship between different parts of the equation.

4. Are there any rules or guidelines to follow when setting an expression as a variable in a proof?

Yes, there are a few guidelines to keep in mind. It is important to choose a variable that is relevant to the problem and to clearly define what that variable represents. Additionally, try to avoid using the same variable for different purposes within the same proof.

5. Can setting an expression as a variable make a proof more complicated?

In some cases, setting an expression as a variable can actually make a proof more complicated. This is because it introduces an additional step of substituting values for the variable. However, in the long run, it can make the proof easier to understand and solve.