Domain of the identity function after inverse composition

In summary: E.g., you could take the graphs of ##f## and ##g## and restrict them to the respective domains. Then you see what happens to the graphs under composition.
Derrick Palmiter
Hi, I'm struggling to understand something. Does domain restriction work the same way for composition of inverse functions as it does for other composite functions? I would assume it does, but the end result seems counter-intuitive. For example:

If I have the function f(x) = 1/(1+x), with the domain restriction x > 0 and
g(x) = (1-x)/x, with the domain restriction 0 < x < 1 ...

Then these functions are inverses. If I compose them to test this, then of course, I get the identity function in both cases...but do I need to specify a domain restriction on f(g(x)) and g(f(x))? I believe, that if I do so, then the domain of both composites should be 0 < x < 1. Firstly, am I correct, and secondly, what does this actually mean...in terms of the functions being inverses? If we were to graph the composites, would we just have a line segment? If the answer is yes, does this have any affect on the inverses operation upon each other?

Thanks for any help or insight anyone can give, or any other similar examples I could investigate.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
A function can only be applied where it is defined. So ##f \circ g## is only defined on ##(0,1]## and ##g \circ f## is only defined on ##[0,\infty)##. If - as in your example - all domains are subsets of one common space and ## f\, : \,A \rightarrow f(A)## and ##g\, : \,B \rightarrow g(B)## then ##f \circ g## is defined on ##B## and ##g \circ f## is defined on ##A##. However, there can be further restrictions to the codomains, as ##f## is restricted to ##g(B) \cap A## in the composition ##f \circ g## and ##g## is restricted to ##f(A) \cap B## in the composition ##g \circ f##. In your example we had ##f(A)=B## and ##g(B)=A##, so no further restrictions to the compositions.

The simple rule is, that all steps have to be defined.

Thank you very much. The precalculus book I'm using doesn't explain this question of the composition of domains very clearly. So, just to make sure I understand, the domain of f ° g in my example would be (0,1] and of g ° f would be [0, ∞). (I know that's how you prefaced your explanation, forgive me, I'm just a sucker for certainty.)

Is there any geometric/graphical application of this fact that I should be aware of that I may be missing? Or perhaps a geometric explanation of the same reality?

1. What is the domain of the identity function after inverse composition?

The domain of the identity function after inverse composition is the set of all real numbers.

2. How is the identity function related to inverse composition?

The identity function is the inverse of itself, and when composed with its inverse, it results in the identity function.

3. Can the identity function after inverse composition be represented algebraically?

Yes, the identity function after inverse composition can be represented algebraically as f(f^-1(x)) = x, where f(x) is the identity function and f^-1(x) is its inverse.

4. What is the graph of the identity function after inverse composition?

The graph of the identity function after inverse composition is the line y = x, which is a diagonal line passing through the origin and with a slope of 1.

5. Are there any other functions that behave similarly to the identity function after inverse composition?

Yes, any function that is its own inverse will behave similarly to the identity function after inverse composition. Examples include f(x) = -x and f(x) = 1/x.