Donald Duck Dunn Dies: Legendary Musician Passes Away

• Music
  • Thread starter George Jones
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the influence of session musicians such as Duck Dunn and their impact on the speaker's love for bass and drums. They also mention their own experience playing in bars and taverns, as well as the use of specific instruments such as a Hammond C3 console organ with a Leslie. The conversation ends with the speaker acknowledging the expertise of another individual in achieving a specific sound.
Science news on Phys.org
Thanks, George. I was always a fan of guitar (like any kid from the 50s), but these journeymen musicians taught me to love (and play) bass and drums, too. Many years later, I could have such fun and make a comfortable second income playing in taverns and bars. I assembled an entire kit of Fibes drums with Zildjian cymbals. The neighbors might not have liked it, but my little brother got a kick out of it.

Nice Duck Dunn guitar accents and riffs in this one also:
_bpS-cOBK6Q[/youtube] [MEDIA=youtube]_bpS-cOBK6Q[/MEDIA]

Last edited by a moderator:
ThomasT said:
Nice Duck Dunn guitar accents and riffs in this one also:
_bpS-cOBK6Q[/youtube] [MEDIA=youtu...s later, but IMO, the sound was not the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
turbo said:
Thanks for the link. My college band featured a Hammond C3 console organ with a Leslie. Killer combo! The C3 was a PITA to move, but at least it was better than a B. Porta-Bs came out many years later, but IMO, the sound was not the same.
Your knowledge, experience and musical abilities are beyond mine. Thanks for the info. Booker T (and the MGs, including the Duck) got a nice sound out of his organ that I've never been able to exactly reproduce.

Related to Donald Duck Dunn Dies: Legendary Musician Passes Away

1. Who was Donald Duck Dunn?

Donald Duck Dunn was a legendary American musician and songwriter. He was best known for being the bassist for the influential band Booker T. and the M.G.'s and as a session musician for Stax Records. He also played with other well-known artists such as Eric Clapton and Neil Young.

2. When did Donald Duck Dunn pass away?

Donald Duck Dunn passed away on May 13, 2012 at the age of 70.

3. What was the cause of Donald Duck Dunn's death?

According to his family, Donald Duck Dunn died in his sleep due to a heart attack while on tour in Tokyo, Japan.

4. What was Donald Duck Dunn's impact on the music industry?

Donald Duck Dunn's bass playing style was highly influential in the development of soul and R&B music. He was also a highly sought-after session musician, contributing to countless hit songs throughout his career. His work with Booker T. and the M.G.'s helped shape the sound of Stax Records and he was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1992.

5. What is Donald Duck Dunn's legacy?

Donald Duck Dunn's legacy lives on through his iconic bass playing and contributions to the music industry. He has influenced countless musicians and his work continues to be celebrated and recognized to this day. His legacy also includes his role in shaping the sound of soul and R&B music, and his impact as a session musician for Stax Records.