Don't understand the choice of zero-potential level

• Thread starter KFC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Choice
In summary: The zero potential point can be chosen arbitrarily.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of zero potential level and how it can be chosen arbitrarily. It also explores the idea of setting up a coordinate system and whether the zero potential point should always be chosen as the origin. It is stated that while it is usually easiest to choose the origin as the zero potential point, it is not necessary and potential is independent of the chosen coordinate system.
KFC
Hi there, I textbook it said the zero potential level can be chosed arbitrarily. Let's take the gravity as example, if an box is moving from the top of a incline to the bottom without considering the friction, suppose the center of mass located in the geometric center of the box. Someone pick the horizontal level as the zero potential level. But if I setup my coordinate system with the origin attached to the top of the incline, x-axis along the incline and y-axis perpendicular to the incline, so every point the box moved to will have y=0, in this case, can I set everywhere on the surface of the incline (i.e. y=0) the gravity potential is ZERO? If no, how to find gravity potential in above-mentioned coordinate system?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
No, setting the coordinate system like that will just mean that you will make potential energy a function of both x and y instead of just y. Potential is independent of the chosen coordinate system.

Monocles said:
No, setting the coordinate system like that will just mean that you will make potential energy a function of both x and y instead of just y. Potential is independent of the chosen coordinate system.

Thanks. So after setting up the coordinate system, shall we always chose the origin as the zero potential point?

KFC said:
Thanks. So after setting up the coordinate system, shall we always chose the origin as the zero potential point?

It's usually easiest to do that, but it is not necessary.

Related to Don't understand the choice of zero-potential level

1. What is the zero-potential level?

The zero-potential level refers to the point in a system where there is no potential energy. This is usually used as a reference point to measure the potential energy of other points in the system.

2. Why is the zero-potential level important in scientific research?

The zero-potential level is important because it allows scientists to accurately measure potential energy differences between different points in a system. It also helps to establish a common reference point for comparing potential energy values in different systems.

3. How is the zero-potential level determined in a system?

The zero-potential level is usually chosen by convention or by the nature of the system itself. For example, in a gravitational system, the zero-potential level is often chosen to be at ground level or at the surface of a planet.

4. Can the zero-potential level change in a system?

Yes, the zero-potential level can change depending on the conditions of the system. For example, in a gravitational system, the zero-potential level can change if the system is moved to a different location with a different gravitational field.

5. What happens if the zero-potential level is not properly defined in a system?

If the zero-potential level is not properly defined, it can lead to incorrect calculations and interpretations of potential energy differences in the system. It is important for scientists to establish a clear and consistent zero-potential level in their research to ensure accurate results.