Doppler Effect -- How fast would you need to go for a red light to appear green?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of the Doppler effect and its potential impact on the appearance of red and green lights while driving. The participants mention the formula for the Doppler effect and the corresponding frequencies for red and green light. They also mention the possibility of using this effect to "run a red light" by traveling at a high speed. However, the conversation also highlights the importance of understanding the equations and having a good education in order to accurately calculate the required speed.
Parker Hame
I was driving the other day, and I was about to go past a green light when it turned yellow, so I sped up. I got past the light but but it got me wondering, how fast would you need to go for a red light to appear green due to the Doppler Effect.
(Excuse me if this question doesn't belong in general physics, I wasn't sure where it belonged)

Science news on Phys.org
Do you know the formula for the Doppler effect and what frequencies correspond to red and green?

Likes russ_watters
I do know that the Doppler effect causes light or sound waves to have smaller or thigher bends in front of them when you go faster. Green light wavelength is tighter than red, so this is possible (theoretically that is, I know that this is going to be fast and a car would probably burn up before it reached that speed). People in rockets going to space experience this.

Parker Hame said:
This was the first I found without extensive research
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doppler_effect

OK you need to find the wavelength of green and red light and then use those formula

here's a head start for you...

convert wavelength to frequency
wavelength of red light is around 633nm
frequency = speed of light / wavelength
frequency = 3.0e8 m/s / 633nm
frequency =you have a go at the restDave

davenn said:
OK you need to find the wavelength of green and red light and then use those formula

here's a head start for you...

convert wavelength to frequency
wavelength of red light is around 633nm
frequency = speed of light / wavelength
frequency = 3.0e8 m/s / 633nm
frequency =you have a go at the restDave
Dude, I have no degrees whatsoever, I'm asking because I don't know, I want to know, but I can't do this equation.

Urban Legend holds that, back in the '60s on the West Coast, a couple of young physicists tried this ploy to side-step certain driving bans for 'running the red'. Taking advice, the local judge stuck them with fixed-fee speeding fines for each additional 10 mph over the posted limit. After hasty calculation, the perps pleaded to the original charge...

Parker Hame said:
Dude, I have no degrees whatsoever, I'm asking because I don't know, I want to know, but I can't do this equation.
If one cannot do the equations then the obvious point to learning the result is to have a big number to go "woo woo" over. If the supply of such numbers is running low, there are always sports science shows to watch.

Rough rule of thumb (classical Doppler): If you want to halve the frequency, you can run away from the source at half the speed of the wave. If you want to double the frequency you can run toward the source at the speed of the wave.

Parker Hame said:
well you shouldn't have marked your thread as I for intermediate then, aye !
that assumes you have a very good education
[Mentor's note: the thread level has been changed to "B"]

you didn't even attempt to finish off the example I gave above and then do the same for the green light

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1oldman2
Parker Hame said:
Don't sell yourself short. You can do it.
And the reason we aren't spoon-feeding you the answer is that we know you can do it, and we know this because we've all been where you are now.

Likes sysprog, 1oldman2 and davenn
davenn said:
well you shouldn't have marked your thread as I for intermediate then, aye !
that assumes you have a very good education
[Mentor's note: the thread level has been changed to "B"]

you didn't even attempt to finish off the example I gave above and then do the same for the green light
I did attempt to, actually. And I failed. I thought the thread level meant how hard the question was.

Show us your working and someone will see where you went wrong.

jbriggs444 said:
Rough rule of thumb (classical Doppler): If you want to halve the frequency, you can run away from the source at half the speed of the wave. If you want to double the frequency you can run toward the source at the speed of the wave.

This post was mostly ignored, so I'm quoting it. Even without knowledge of algebra, with this rule of thumb the OP should get into the ballpark of speed necessary. OP, look up the speed of light, and the frequencies of green and red, and you have all the information needed.

Likes sysprog
To my calculations, the speed at witch you would must travel to run a red light claiming it was green due to the Doppler affect you would have to go
111,600,000 mph
By the way, I have no degrees because I am 12

• Haha
Likes sysprog, sophiecentaur and CWatters
  • Haha
Likes Nik_2213 and vanhees71
Slight snag: if in atmosphere, you'd both burn up your vehicle, and blow out every window in any building left standing within a scary distance from your route...

FWIW, there's an 'urban legend' that a Valley dude claimed this red/green Doppler shift to mitigate a red-running ban to 'driving without due care & attention' or US equivalent. Sadly, the local court's clerk was physics-aware, did the math and reckoned the fine per each 5 mph 'over the limit' would clear much of the US National Debt. So the driver accepted ban for the red-run, plus a hefty fine for 'contempt of court'...

• Haha
Likes vanhees71
Parker Hame said:
To my calculations, the speed at witch you would must travel to run a red light claiming it was green due to the Doppler affect you would have to go
111,600,000 mph
By the way, I have no degrees because I am 12
Just when people were starting to get ratty with you, you spring the 12 yrs thing on us. Congrats, you had us all going!

sophiecentaur said:
Just when people were starting to get ratty with you, you spring the 12 yrs thing on us. Congrats, you had us all going!
This thread was necro'd long enough that he's likely 16 now.

Likes sophiecentaur and berkeman

1. What is the Doppler Effect?

The Doppler Effect is a phenomenon where the perceived frequency of a wave changes when the source and observer are in relative motion. This causes a shift in the color of light, sound, or other waves.

2. How does the Doppler Effect affect the color of light?

The Doppler Effect causes an apparent shift in the wavelength of light, which changes its color. When a source of light is moving towards an observer, the wavelength is compressed, making the light appear bluer. When the source is moving away, the wavelength is stretched, making the light appear redder.

3. How fast would I need to go for a red light to appear green?

The exact speed needed for this change depends on the initial frequency of the light and the observer's position. However, as a general rule, the speed would need to be at least 30% of the speed of light. This is because the human eye is not sensitive enough to detect smaller changes in color caused by the Doppler Effect.

4. Is the Doppler Effect only applicable to light?

No, the Doppler Effect can occur with any type of wave, including sound, water, and seismic waves. The principle is the same - the perceived frequency and wavelength change when the source and observer are in relative motion.

5. How is the Doppler Effect used in real life?

The Doppler Effect has many practical applications, such as in meteorology, where it is used to measure the speed and direction of winds. It is also used in medical imaging, such as ultrasound, to determine the velocity of blood flow. In astronomy, the Doppler Effect is used to measure the motion of stars and galaxies. It is also used in radar technology to detect the speed of moving objects, such as in police speed guns.