Dot product for vectors in spherical coordinates

In summary, it is not possible to directly take the dot product between two spherical-coordinate vectors without converting them to Cartesian coordinates first, due to the difference in basis vectors.
Wminus
Hi all.

I'm struggling with taking dot products between vectors in spherical coordinates. I just cannot figure out how to take the dot product between two arbitrary spherical-coordinate vectors ##\bf{v_1}## centered in ##(r_1,\theta_1,\phi_1)## and ##\bf{v_2}## centered in ##(r_2,\theta_2,\phi_2)## without converting them to cartesian coordinates first.

Could you guys please help me? The main issue is that the basis for ##v_1## and ##v_2## are different so everything becomes super complicated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
By the way, if this requires advanced mathematics and is very complicated, please just tell me that's the case instead of spending your time writing a long post. I don't really have the time to dwell too long on this issue.

Your last remark is confusing. What do you mean by "basis for v1 and v2 are different"?

Wminus said:
Hi all.

I'm struggling with taking dot products between vectors in spherical coordinates. I just cannot figure out how to take the dot product between two arbitrary spherical-coordinate vectors ##\bf{v_1}## centered in ##(r_1,\theta_1,\phi_1)## and ##\bf{v_2}## centered in ##(r_2,\theta_2,\phi_2)## without converting them to cartesian coordinates first.

Could you guys please help me? The main issue is that the basis for ##v_1## and ##v_2## are different so everything becomes super complicated.

Thanks
I don't think there is a definition of the dot (scalar) product which involves using vectors expressed in spherical coordinates, at least, not one which makes sense.

What started you down this dark road in the first place?

mathman said:
Your last remark is confusing. What do you mean by "basis for v1 and v2 are different"?

The basis vectors ##\hat{\phi}##, ##\hat{\theta}## depend on the angles ##\phi##,##\theta##. This is what I meant with the basis are different for vectors centered in different points of spherical space. Sorry for the confusion.

SteamKing said:
I don't think there is a definition of the dot (scalar) product which involves using vectors expressed in spherical coordinates, at least, not one which makes sense.

What started you down this dark road in the first place?

I was derailed while doing an assignment :( . I ended up wanting to calculate ##\vec{L} \cdot \vec{L}## where ##\vec{L} = -i \hbar \vec{r} \times \nabla## is the angular momentum operator in spherical coordinates.

Wminus said:
The basis vectors ϕ^\hat{\phi}, θ^\hat{\theta} depend on the angles ϕ\phi,θ\theta. This is what I meant with the basis are different for vectors centered in different points of spherical space. Sorry for the confusion.
The main problem is that in spherical coordinates, the local orthonormal basis are not the global coordinate basis, and hence you cannot obtain a 'neat' expression for the dot product using them. You can obtain an expression in terms of them using Cartesian conversions, but the expression is long, and it would be better to simply change coordinates first and then perform the dot product.

1. What is the dot product for vectors in spherical coordinates?

The dot product for vectors in spherical coordinates is a mathematical operation that gives a scalar quantity as a result. It is used to determine the angle between two vectors in three-dimensional space.

2. How is the dot product calculated for vectors in spherical coordinates?

The dot product for vectors in spherical coordinates is calculated by multiplying the magnitudes of the two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them. This can also be represented as the product of the components of the two vectors in the same direction.

3. What is the significance of the dot product in spherical coordinates?

The dot product in spherical coordinates is important in many areas of physics and engineering, such as electromagnetism, mechanics, and fluid dynamics. It is used to calculate work, power, and momentum in these fields.

4. How does the dot product in spherical coordinates relate to the dot product in Cartesian coordinates?

The dot product in spherical coordinates is mathematically equivalent to the dot product in Cartesian coordinates. However, the formula and components used to calculate the dot product differ between the two coordinate systems.

5. Can the dot product for vectors in spherical coordinates be negative?

Yes, the dot product for vectors in spherical coordinates can be negative. This indicates that the vectors are pointing in opposite directions or have an angle between them greater than 90 degrees.