Dot product, inner product, and projections

nomadreid
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Letting u,v be unit vectors, the length of the projection of u onto v is u dot v, whereas the inner product <u|v> is the projection of v onto u. Why the difference?
In simple Euclidean space: From trig, we have , for u and v separated by angle Θ, the length of the projection of u onto v is |u|cosΘ; then from one definition of the dot product Θ=arcos(|u|⋅|v|/(uv)); putting them together, I get the length of the projection of u onto v is uv/|v|.
Then I read that the inner product <u|v> is the result of the projection of v onto u.
Of course one could just say that the dot product is commutative, but the reverse order of what is projecting onto what seems a bit odd.
Either: where is my mistake, or: What am I missing?
Thanks in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There are a ton of different sign and notation differences in math and physics. The best that you can hope for is that any given book or article is consistent. Even that is sometimes violated and a book/article notation convention may be dependent on the context.

Likes nomadreid
If you are interested in the topic you might want to read
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1205.5935.pdf

It is mathematics, but well written and a nice overview.

Likes FactChecker
nomadreid said:
TL;DR Summary: Letting u,v be unit vectors, the length of the projection of u onto v is u dot v, whereas the inner product <u|v> is the projection of v onto u.
That's a question of semantics. For me, ##\mathbf{u} \cdot \mathbf{v}## is projection of ##\mathbf{v}## on ##\mathbf{u}##, not the other way around. For real-valued vectors, there is no difference because of commutativity. For complex-valued vectors, it matters because the two inner products are complex conjugate of each other,
$$
\braket{u | v} = \overline{\braket{v | u}}
$$
Note tat another common notation for an inner product is ##(u,v)##, for which the convention is most often that ##v## is the quantity that will be complex-conjugated.

Likes nomadreid
Thanks, FactChecker, fresh_42 and DrClaude.
fresh_42: The book looks very clearly laid out, and I have downloaded it, as it will certainly be helpful.

DrClaude: I believe you have a typo in your note that the two inner products are complex conjugates of one another: there should be a line over one of the pair, or an asterisk, or however one chooses to indicate the complex conjugate.

nomadreid said:
DrClaude: I believe you have a typo in your note that the two inner products are complex conjugates of one another: there should be a line over one of the pair, or an asterisk, or however one chooses to indicate the complex conjugate.
There is an overline. Maybe it is a question of MathJax rendering. What I see is
1696950897342.png

DrClaude said:
There is an overline. Maybe it is a question of MathJax rendering. What I see is
View attachment 333411
I see the same, both here and in your previous post.

Mark44 said:
I see the same, both here and in your previous post.
On my Windows 10 PC Firefox browser, I don't see that in the post, only in the .png image.
On the Chrome browser, I see it correctly in the post.
On my Samsung Android tablet Chrome browser, I see it correctly in the post.

What is the dot product?

The dot product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and returns a scalar quantity. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and then summing up the products.

What is the inner product?

The inner product is a generalization of the dot product that can be defined for more abstract vector spaces, such as function spaces. It is a bilinear operation that takes two vectors and returns a scalar quantity.

What is the difference between dot product and inner product?

The dot product is a specific type of inner product that is defined for Euclidean vector spaces. In Euclidean spaces, the dot product is equivalent to the inner product. However, in more general vector spaces, the inner product can have different properties.

What is a projection in the context of vectors?

A projection is a vector that represents the shadow of one vector onto another vector. It is calculated using the dot product and is used to find the component of one vector that lies in the direction of another vector.

How is the dot product related to projections?

The dot product is used to calculate the length of the projection of one vector onto another vector. By dividing the dot product of the two vectors by the magnitude of the second vector, we can find the length of the projection of the first vector onto the second vector.