Double jacket tank sizing

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a double jacketed tank for brewing beer with a heating rate requirement and specific capacities. The material of the tank is stainless steel 304 and hot water will be used in the jacket to heat the liquid inside to around 65C. However, the speaker is seeking help with calculating the minimum jacket surface area and water temperature for efficient heat transfer. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to rethink the water temperature to avoid overheating the jacket.
john11
Hello,

I am trying to design a double jacketed tank for brewing beer. Heating rate rewuired 0.5-1 C/min. Inside capacity of 300-400 liter liquid at ~1.05 d + grain, tank capacity of 600 liter. I can not find a proper calculation for a minimum jacket surface area required for this aplication. I nead to heat all this to ~65C using hot water in the jacket. Also the material of the tank is stainless steel 304.
I will be very thankfull for help with the calculations, preffered metric system. Or at least refference to a relevant equations.
Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
There is no minimum jacket area. The smaller the jacket the greater the temp. Difference is required. At some point the limits of engineering materials will be reached. In other words, you need to define your problem more clearly. What is the temp of the heating fluid?

Right. The heating liquid will be water at temperature as close as possible to the temperature I want to reach inside the tank mainly around 65C. This to avoid hot spots near the jacket although it will be stirred slowly.

You may want to rethink your water temp. Heat transfer is proportional to temp difference so as the booze approaches the target temp the heating rate will tend to zero.

You are right again. That's why I said as close as possible. I am aware that if for example I will want to bring the temperature to 65C I will have to heat the jacket to 67-68 and that's fine. But i would like to stay in the range of 3-5C above the targeted temperature and not to heat the jacket with boiling water.

1. What is a double jacket tank?

A double jacket tank is a type of storage tank that consists of two layers of metal, with an outer layer surrounding an inner layer. The space between the two layers is known as the jacket and is filled with a liquid, such as water or oil, to provide insulation and temperature control for the contents of the tank.

2. How is the size of a double jacket tank determined?

The size of a double jacket tank is determined by several factors, including the storage capacity required, the type of material being stored, and the available space for the tank. It is also important to consider the thickness and material of the tank walls to ensure structural integrity and safety.

3. What are the benefits of using a double jacket tank?

Double jacket tanks offer several benefits for storing liquids, including better temperature control, increased safety due to the added layer of insulation, and the ability to store a variety of materials. They are also more durable and long-lasting compared to other types of storage tanks.

4. How do I know if a double jacket tank is the right choice for my needs?

Before selecting a double jacket tank, it is important to consider the type of material you will be storing, the required storage capacity, and any specific temperature control needs. Consulting with a professional or doing research on the specific needs of your materials can help determine if a double jacket tank is the best choice for your needs.

5. How can I ensure proper maintenance and care for a double jacket tank?

Regular maintenance and care are necessary for ensuring the longevity and safety of a double jacket tank. This includes regular inspections, cleaning, and monitoring of the jacket liquid levels. It is also important to follow any specific guidelines or instructions provided by the manufacturer for the care of your tank.