Doublecheck homework percentages, and equations

• Thread starter late347
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary: If the entire trip was driven at one or the other of the two speeds, then your equation is correct.In summary, the total distance of 350km was covered in 4 hours, with some part of the distance being driven at 60km/h and some part at 100km/h. The time intervals for each speed can be found using simultaneous equations and were found to be 1.25 hours at 60km/h and 2.75 hours at 100km/h. In the second problem, there were initially 100% of students in the course, but 75% of them fulfilled the course with midterms, meaning they
late347

Homework Statement

A.) Distance, the length of which is 350km, was done within 4 hours.
Some part of the distance was driven at speed of 60km/h, and some part of the distance was drivent at speed 100km/h. What part of the distance was driven at 60km/h speed

B.) How many students were at the course?
If those who fulfilled the course with midterms were 75% of the students.
The rest took part in the exam, and of those 50% fulfilled the course.
The ones who got the grade zero, were 7 students.

(It was assumed by myself that grade zero correspond to failure of the course, because this was ostensibly supposed to be the same grading policy as it is currently at our university from 0-5 grades)

(furthermore using common sense it is concluded that when a course is fulfilled, ergo it means that the course was not in that case failed. Ergo, the grade was not zero.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

A.)

This was little bit more difficult problem than the second one.

Not much information was strictly able to be known immediately. To my understanding this problem was not really solvable unless you use simultaneous equation. (even though we did not cover that topic in math class, when this homework was given.) I was a little bit confused initially about that one, but apparently this was suppsoed to be an extra assignment for our class.

The parts of information that could be gathered were essentially that
1st part time + 2nd part time = total time
(60km/h * 1st part time) + (100km/h*2nd part time) = 350km

let x= 1st part time
let y= 2nd part time

##x+y=4##
##60*x +100y= 350##

##\begin{cases} x+y=4 \\ 60x+100y=350 \end{cases}##

x= 1,25
y=2,75
1,25 hours was driven at 60km/h probably...
that would be 1h and 15min.

doublechecking it would seem that this solution is true because

60*1,25= 75km travelled
100*2,75= 275km travelled

75+275 = 350km
and
1,25+2,75= 4hours

B.)

100% of students existed in beginning

75% of students fulfilled course by midterms--> ergo they all passed (fulfilled) the course

25% of students attempted test. Of those 50% passed and 50% failed.25% of students attempted exam. Of those, 50% passed course, and the rest of them failedIt was known that those who failed, were in fact 7 students in total.

let x= total students in course

(0.25x / 2)= 7
0,125x=7
x=56

doublechecking
56 students in course
56- (0,75*56)=14
14/ 0,25 = 56
14 took part in the exam. And of those, half failed and half passed.
14-(0,5*14)= 7
7 failed.

Physics news on Phys.org
late347 said:

Homework Statement

A.) Distance, the length of which is 350km, was done within 4 hours.
Some part of the distance was driven at speed of 60km/h, and some part of the distance was drivent at speed 100km/h. What part of the distance was driven at 60km/h speed

B.) How many students were at the course?
If those who fulfilled the course with midterms were 75% of the students.
The rest took part in the exam, and of those 50% fulfilled the course.
The ones who got the grade zero, were 7 students.

(It was assumed by myself that grade zero correspond to failure of the course, because this was ostensibly supposed to be the same grading policy as it is currently at our university from 0-5 grades)

(furthermore using common sense it is concluded that when a course is fulfilled, ergo it means that the course was not in that case failed. Ergo, the grade was not zero.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

A.)

This was little bit more difficult problem than the second one.

Not much information was strictly able to be known immediately. To my understanding this problem was not really solvable unless you use simultaneous equation. (even though we did not cover that topic in math class, when this homework was given.) I was a little bit confused initially about that one, but apparently this was suppsoed to be an extra assignment for our class.

The parts of information that could be gathered were essentially that
1st part time + 2nd part time = total time
The equation above might not be accurate. The wording of the problem was "Some part of the distance was driven at speed of 60km/h, and some part of the distance was drivent at speed 100km/h."
I recognize that English is not your first language, so it's possible some meaning was lost in translation. What you wrote above doesn't mean that "the rest of the distance was driven at 100 km/hr.In that case, the equation would be ##t_{60} + t_{100} + t_{\text{remaining}} = t_{\text{total}}##
Here, the first two variables represent the time intervals during which the car was going 60 km/hr and 100 km/hr, respectively, and the third variable represents the remaining time.

If the entire trip was driven at one or the other of the two speeds, then your equation is correct.
late347 said:
(60km/h * 1st part time) + (100km/h*2nd part time) = 350km

let x= 1st part time
let y= 2nd part time

##x+y=4##
##60*x +100y= 350##

##\begin{cases} x+y=4 \\ 60x+100y=350 \end{cases}##

x= 1,25
y=2,75
1,25 hours was driven at 60km/h probably...
that would be 1h and 15min.

doublechecking it would seem that this solution is true because

60*1,25= 75km travelled
100*2,75= 275km travelled

75+275 = 350km
and
1,25+2,75= 4hours

B.)

100% of students existed in beginning

75% of students fulfilled course by midterms--> ergo they all passed (fulfilled) the course

25% of students attempted test. Of those 50% passed and 50% failed.25% of students attempted exam. Of those, 50% passed course, and the rest of them failedIt was known that those who failed, were in fact 7 students in total.

let x= total students in course

(0.25x / 2)= 7
0,125x=7
x=56

doublechecking
56 students in course
56- (0,75*56)=14
14/ 0,25 = 56
14 took part in the exam. And of those, half failed and half passed.
14-(0,5*14)= 7
7 failed.

Mark44 said:
The equation above might not be accurate. The wording of the problem was "Some part of the distance was driven at speed of 60km/h, and some part of the distance was drivent at speed 100km/h."
I recognize that English is not your first language, so it's possible some meaning was lost in translation. What you wrote above doesn't mean that "the rest of the distance was driven at 100 km/hr.In that case, the equation would be ##t_{60} + t_{100} + t_{\text{remaining}} = t_{\text{total}}##
Here, the first two variables represent the time intervals during which the car was going 60 km/hr and 100 km/hr, respectively, and the third variable represents the remaining time.

If the entire trip was driven at one or the other of the two speeds, then your equation is correct.

I don't see how the problem would be easily solvable without assuming that to be true. Maybe it would be solvable even as you suggesst.
There was not much information given
There were only two speeds given, and the parts of the time, which corresponded to those two speeds. And there was the total time. And the total distance.

I tried to do the translation as faithfully as possible but I could only seemingly assume that only two speeds existed. Because only two speed were really given to exist, as beginning information. I suppose we shall see by tomorrow when these are checked by my teacher.

late347 said:
I don't see how the problem would be easily solvable without assuming that to be true. Maybe it would be solvable even as you suggesst.
There was not much information given
There were only two speeds given, and the parts of the time, which corresponded to those two speeds. And there was the total time. And the total distance.
Your interpretation seems fine to me. I was just pointing out that the wording of the problem suggested that part of the trip was driven at some third speed. That's probably not what was intended in the problem -- the wording is not the clearest.
late347 said:
I tried to do the translation as faithfully as possible but I could only seemingly assume that only two speeds existed. Because only two speed were really given to exist, as beginning information. I suppose we shall see by tomorrow when these are checked by my teacher.

Mark44 said:
Your interpretation seems fine to me. I was just pointing out that the wording of the problem suggested that part of the trip was driven at some third speed. That's probably not what was intended in the problem -- the wording is not the clearest.

It turned out that you were overthinking it and my assumption was correct. I suppose in a real life situation the driver has to physically accelerate the car from 60km/h ->100km/h but the overall "error" in this simplification of the two speeds (60km/h and 100km/h) is quite small over the entire distance 350km. It does not take too many seconds of time to accelerate to that speed in many typical cars. I was little bit apprehensive about that idea first also, but I could not really see a way around the problem so the best way seemed to assume only two speeds existed.

late347 said:
It turned out that you were overthinking it and my assumption was correct.
I wouldn't say that I was "overthinking" here. The problem is worded in such a way that many people (and probably most mathematicians) would infer that there is at least a third speed involved here, and I don't mean the change in speed from 60 km/hr to 100 km/hr.

If I said, "I have a basket with some apples in it and some oranges in it." One cannot conclude from this statement that the basket contains only apples and oranges. That was my point. IMO, the problem was worded strangely, at least in the English translation.

Emphasis added by me.
late347 said:
Some part of the distance was driven at speed of 60km/h, and some part of the distance was drivent at speed 100km/h.
late347 said:
I suppose in a real life situation the driver has to physically accelerate the car from 60km/h ->100km/h but the overall "error" in this simplification of the two speeds (60km/h and 100km/h) is quite small over the entire distance 350km. It does not take too many seconds of time to accelerate to that speed in many typical cars. I was little bit apprehensive about that idea first also, but I could not really see a way around the problem so the best way seemed to assume only two speeds existed.

1. What are percentages and how are they used in homework?

Percentages are a way of expressing a portion or fraction of a whole as a number out of 100. In homework, percentages are commonly used to show a student's grade or progress, or to calculate discounts or taxes.

2. How do I doublecheck my homework percentages?

To doublecheck your homework percentages, you can use a calculator to calculate the percentage manually or use a percentage calculator online. You can also review your work and calculations to ensure they are accurate.

3. What is the purpose of using equations in homework?

Equations are used in homework to represent a mathematical relationship between two or more variables. They allow for solving complex problems and finding unknown values.

4. How do I solve equations in homework?

To solve equations in homework, start by identifying the unknown variable and isolating it on one side of the equal sign. Then, use inverse operations to simplify and solve for the variable. Finally, doublecheck your solution by plugging it back into the original equation.

5. What should I do if I am having trouble with percentages or equations in my homework?

If you are struggling with percentages or equations in your homework, don't hesitate to ask your teacher or a classmate for help. You can also seek additional resources such as online tutorials or textbooks to better understand the concepts and improve your skills.