Dr. Who Returns to SciFi March 17th at 9PM!

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scifi
In summary, the conversation discusses the premiere of the new season of Doctor Who on the SciFi channel, with some members sharing their past experiences with the show and their thoughts on the new episodes. Some enjoyed it, while others were underwhelmed but still interested in watching. There is also discussion about the female lead and how she differs from typical sci-fi female characters. Overall, there seems to be potential for the new season to be successful.
Mike Cookson said:
I know what a pilot is, I'm just confused as to what was shown as the pilot. I'm assuming this is in the states. Pilots rarely occur in the UK.

They are talking about the episode of Dr. Who with Sarah Jane. We here in the US saw it just as you did, as a regular episode of Dr. Who during the second or third series. But that does not mean it couldn't have also been a pilot for the new show with Sarah Jane. (as I mentioned above, this is a common practice.)

I guess the real question is, was it shot as a pilot, or did the idea for the spin-off occur afterward? (Again, a common occurrence, Both "Laverne and Shirley" and "Mork and Mindy" were based on characters introduced in "Happy Days" episodes, but those episodes were not originally meant as vehicles to launch the new series.)

We don't always see the pilot episodes of series in the US either. Sometimes the show changes significantly between the shooting of the pilot and airing, and thus airing the pilot as the first episode would be awkward.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ah right, I understand. I don't think I have actually seen an aired pilot for a UK program. I have seen some claimed to be pilots after the date but I never heard of one being aired, at the time so to speak. Most 'pilots' for UK TV are fairly old now too, as if they don't bother any more.

Janus said:
(Again, a common occurrence, Both "Laverne and Shirley" and "Mork and Mindy" were based on characters introduced in "Happy Days" episodes, but those episodes were not originally meant as vehicles to launch the new series.)

And Happy Days first piloted as an episode on Love American Style.

Art said:
Anybody watch Torchwood (an anagram of Doctor Who) another spin off with Captain Jack?

It is a pretty good show but it gets too torchy at times! :biggrin:

Is it just me or does Sarah Jane really suck? :biggrin:

Obviously this show was intended for kids.

Regarding pilot episodes: Turns out that Love American Style was known as the graveyard for failed pilots. The Happy Days pilot had been rejected but was picked up after it ran as an episode on LAS.

Last edited: