Drawing an Argand Diagram: 2 Homework Statement

In summary, the student is struggling to understand a complex equation in exponential form. After some help from the other user, they are able to solve the equation.
icystrike

Homework Statement

I'm looking at the part that requires me to draw the argand diagram.
attachment.php?attachmentid=23883&stc=1&d=1266893901.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

attachment.php?attachmentid=23882&stc=1&d=1266893901.jpg

Attachments

• LGIM0020.jpg
    LGIM0020.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 518
  • LGIM0021.jpg
    LGIM0021.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 484
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm at a loss here at what you're really asking. Do you need confirmation? In that case, your working is correct.
You seem to know how to solve complex numbers quite proficiently, and you yourself know this too. Confidence in your own abilities is a quality that anyone wanting to do well in an exam needs to have grasped. At these levels in mathematics, students are barely given enough time to be able to go back and check all their work thoroughly, and if you have an answer but can't quite move onto the next because of some slight irritating feeling that you might have made a small mistake, this will be worse for your results in the end.

First Part: Express complex number in exponential form.

do you know what do you mean by exponential form.

Suppose z is any complex number. And if z = x + iy

then in polar form it will be written as

z = r (cos[tex]\theta[/tex] + i sin[tex]\theta[/tex]

where r = [tex]\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}[/tex] and [tex]\theta[/tex] = arg(z)

Now to solve your problem you have to know at which angle cos[tex]\theta[/tex] has a value of -1/2 and sin[tex]\theta[/tex] has a value of [tex]\frac{-\sqrt{3}}{2}[/tex]. I'll not tell you unless you try something for it. If you can't find it after some try then post it here. I'll give you the angle.

And r can be easily calculated by you.

Now in exponential form you have to write it as [tex]re^{i\theta}[/tex]

You amuse me snshusat161 :biggrin:

snshusat161 said:
And if z = x + iy

then in polar form it will be written as

z = r (cos[tex]\theta[/tex] + i sin[tex]\theta[/tex]

where r = [tex]\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}[/tex] and [tex]\theta[/tex] = arg(z)

Stating what r is in terms of x and y is a good hint, but saying [itex]\theta=arg(z)[/itex] is trivial since if you know what one means then you should know what the other means. You could just as well have said r=|z| :-p

[tex]\theta=tan^{-1}\left(\frac{y}{x}\right)+(2k+1)\pi[/tex] for all integers k, would have been much better.

Oh and the OP has already solved the problem, which is why I said what I said in post #2.

snshusat161, you've done it again :smile:

I'm new here and don't have the habit to read another person's posts here. I only read the problem and try to give a little concept about it.

saying LaTeX Code: \\theta=arg(z) is trivial since if you know what one means then you should know what the other means

it's correct but actually I don't make anybody understand using formula rather I want to make them understand using diagram so that he can easily understand. I was searching how to draw diagram here but can't find anything so I've to stop.

And yeah, I've done it again and you are again the one to prompt me

Related to Drawing an Argand Diagram: 2 Homework Statement

1. What is an Argand diagram?

An Argand diagram is a mathematical representation of complex numbers using a two-dimensional coordinate system. It was named after mathematician Jean-Robert Argand and is commonly used to visualize complex numbers and their properties.

2. How do you draw an Argand diagram?

To draw an Argand diagram, you first need to plot the real part of the complex number on the horizontal axis and the imaginary part on the vertical axis. The point where these two values intersect represents the complex number. You can also use different colors or shapes to represent different complex numbers on the diagram.

3. What is the purpose of an Argand diagram?

An Argand diagram is used to visualize complex numbers and their relationships, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It can also help in understanding the geometric interpretation of complex numbers, such as their modulus and argument.

4. Can you use an Argand diagram to solve equations?

Yes, an Argand diagram can be used to solve equations involving complex numbers. By plotting the given complex numbers on the diagram, you can easily determine the solutions to equations such as z = a + bi or z^2 = a + bi.

5. Are there any limitations to using an Argand diagram?

While an Argand diagram is a useful tool for understanding complex numbers, it does have its limitations. It can only represent complex numbers in two dimensions and may not be able to accurately show the magnitude and direction of very large or very small complex numbers. Also, the diagram cannot be used to represent complex functions or equations with more than two variables.