E Field at a Glow Discharge Tube Cathode

In summary, the "E Field" in a glow discharge tube cathode refers to the electric field surrounding the cathode and is created by the difference in charge between the cathode and the anode. It can be measured using an electric field meter or by calculating the gradient of the electric potential at a specific point near the cathode. The strength of the "E Field" can be affected by factors such as the distance between the cathode and anode, voltage, gas pressure, and cathode material and shape. It is significant in accelerating electrons towards the anode, which leads to the emission of light in the form of a glow, and also plays a crucial role in the stability and efficiency of the glow discharge process. The "
Dan Jenson
I am trying to understand the "strong" negative E field in the Aston Dark Space in the thin region close to the cathode or else even the cathode surface.

See the diagram at:

http://www.glow-discharge.com/?Physical_background:Glow_Discharges

My question regards the "Electrical Field E" graph which shows a strong level at the cathode, but in the lower description of the AstonDark Space is mentioned, "The electron density and energy is too low to efficiently excite the gas, it consequently appears dark".

Does this mean that the electron density and energy here is generally low ? How do we identify the strong electric field then ?

On my set up the cathode is grounded. Earth ground while containing an infinite abundance of electrons does not give a strong electric field.Maybe if the atoms were polarized then a positive or negative field could emerge. Or what ? How should I understand this ?

I should add that there exists some circuit impedence maybe in the wiring between my plasma cathode and ground and this may allow for field conditions to form at the cathode without direct Earth reference grounding out the effect, but now returning to my question, wht is this strong E field ?

My particular set up is known for producing a strong E field emanating from the cathode but I am not understanding it.

Thanks, dj

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello dj,

Thank you for your question. The strong negative E field in the Aston Dark Space is a result of the presence of a cathode in the plasma. When a cathode is present, it emits electrons which are accelerated towards the anode by the electric field. This creates a region of high electron density and energy close to the cathode, resulting in a strong negative E field.

In the lower description of the Aston Dark Space, it is mentioned that the electron density and energy is too low to efficiently excite the gas. This means that even though there is a strong negative E field present, the electron density and energy are not high enough to cause the gas to glow or emit light. This is why the Aston Dark Space appears dark.

The fact that your cathode is grounded does not necessarily mean that the electric field is weak. The strength of the electric field is determined by the potential difference between the cathode and anode, not the grounding of the cathode. If the atoms in the gas were polarized, it could result in a stronger electric field, but this is not the main factor in the strength of the electric field in the Aston Dark Space.

It is possible that the circuit impedence in your setup is allowing for the formation of a strong E field at the cathode, even with grounding. However, without more information about your specific setup, it is difficult to determine the exact cause of the strong E field.

In summary, the strong negative E field in the Aston Dark Space is a result of the presence of a cathode in the plasma. The electron density and energy in this region may be low, but the electric field is still strong due to the potential difference between the cathode and anode. The specific factors contributing to the strength of the E field in your setup may require further investigation. I hope this helps clarify your understanding of the phenomenon.

1. What is an "E Field" in a glow discharge tube cathode?

The "E Field" in a glow discharge tube cathode refers to the electric field surrounding the cathode. It is a measure of the strength of the electric field at a certain point in space and is created by the difference in charge between the cathode and the anode.

2. How is the "E Field" at a glow discharge tube cathode measured?

The "E Field" at a glow discharge tube cathode can be measured using an electric field meter or by calculating the gradient of the electric potential at a specific point near the cathode. It is important to note that the "E Field" may vary depending on the distance from the cathode and the geometry of the tube.

3. What factors affect the strength of the "E Field" at a glow discharge tube cathode?

The strength of the "E Field" at a glow discharge tube cathode can be affected by various factors, including the distance between the cathode and the anode, the voltage applied to the tube, and the gas pressure inside the tube. Additionally, the shape and material of the cathode can also influence the "E Field".

4. What is the significance of the "E Field" in a glow discharge tube cathode?

The "E Field" in a glow discharge tube cathode is significant because it is responsible for accelerating electrons towards the anode, which leads to the emission of light in the form of a glow. It also plays a crucial role in determining the stability and efficiency of the glow discharge process.

5. How can the "E Field" at a glow discharge tube cathode be controlled?

The "E Field" at a glow discharge tube cathode can be controlled by adjusting the voltage applied to the tube, changing the distance between the cathode and the anode, and altering the gas pressure inside the tube. Using a different cathode material or changing its shape can also have an impact on the "E Field".