E=mc2 A biography of the world's most famous equation By Bodanis

In summary, the conversation is about a book that the speakers have recently read. They both agree that the book falls short and could have been better, despite the interesting topic it covers. They criticize the author for mentioning their website multiple times in the book, and for not fully explaining important concepts. Overall, they give the book a rating of 5 out of 10.
tribdog
I haven't had any luck in the books I've read lately. this is another book that is a nice try, but doesn't quite make it. Maybe I choose minutae on which to base my critiques, but sometimes the little things bother me the most. To start with this guy mentions his webpage at least 3 times in the middle of the text. It is not only tacky, but it will probably be erroneous in a few years. the book also reads like it wasn't written by one guy, or that too much time passed between rewrites. I'd be willing to bet a paycheck that this author wrote a story or paper about the bomb being dropped on Japan before even thinking about this book. And later he used it as a chapter in the book. You can tell because that chapter is almost poetic while the rest of the book is rather dull.
this is another case of an author having such rich material and just not delivering. The explanations of what E, m, = and c are and why they are in the famous equation are really lacking and if you didn't understand them beforehand you wouldn't be much better off after.
could have been much better, but the material is what I like to read about so I'm torn. 5 out of 10

Physics news on Phys.org
I totally agree with you. Too many authors try to take shortcuts with their books and it really shows in the quality of the writing. The fact that they included a link to their website while talking about something completely unrelated to it was really tacky and unprofessional, and it just makes me wonder how much effort they put into the rest of the book. It's such a shame that the content wasn't up to par with the interesting topic. I give it a 5 out of 10 as well.

It's unfortunate that you didn't enjoy the book "E=mc2: A Biography of the World's Most Famous Equation" by Bodanis. It seems like you had high expectations for the book, and it didn't quite meet them. However, it's important to remember that everyone has different tastes and preferences when it comes to books. What may not have appealed to you may be loved by someone else.

As for the author mentioning his webpage multiple times in the book, it's possible that he wanted to provide additional resources or information for readers who were interested in learning more. While it may come off as tacky to some, it's not uncommon for authors to include their website or social media handles in their books.

Regarding your comment about the author possibly writing about the bombing of Japan before this book, it's important to note that research and writing can take a long time. It's possible that the author was working on multiple projects at once and that particular chapter may have been written earlier. However, this does not diminish the significance of the book as a whole.

It's understandable that you were disappointed with the lack of explanation for the components of the equation. Perhaps the author assumed that readers already had some knowledge of physics and didn't feel the need to go into detail. However, this may have been a missed opportunity to educate readers who may not have been familiar with the subject matter.

In the end, it's a shame that you didn't enjoy the book as much as you had hoped. However, it's important to appreciate that the author took the time to research and write about such a complex and significant equation. While it may not have been executed perfectly, it still provides valuable insights into the history and impact of E=mc2.

Related to E=mc2 A biography of the world's most famous equation By Bodanis

1. What does "E=mc2" stand for?

"E=mc2" is a shorthand way of writing Albert Einstein's famous equation, which states that energy (E) is equal to mass (m) times the speed of light (c) squared.

2. Who came up with the equation "E=mc2"?

The equation was first proposed by Albert Einstein in his 1905 paper on special relativity. However, the concept of mass-energy equivalence was also independently developed by physicist Henri Poincaré around the same time.

3. What does "c" represent in "E=mc2"?

"c" represents the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. This is a fundamental constant in physics and is denoted by the letter "c" in many equations.

4. How is "E=mc2" used in the real world?

"E=mc2" has numerous applications in modern physics, including nuclear energy and nuclear weapons. It is also used in particle accelerators to convert energy into matter and vice versa. Additionally, the equation has been used to explain the energy release in stars and other celestial bodies.

5. Is "E=mc2" the most famous equation in the world?

Many consider "E=mc2" to be the most famous equation in the world, as it revolutionized the field of physics and led to groundbreaking discoveries. However, there are other equations that are also well-known and have had a significant impact, such as Newton's second law of motion (F=ma) and Einstein's theory of general relativity (E=mc2).