Eaglesfan1717's question at Yahoo Answers regarding a trigonometric equation

In summary, the conversation is about solving a trigonometry equation involving sine and cosine functions. The expert provides a step-by-step explanation of how to rearrange the equation and use the zero-factor property to find the roots. They also provide a link to a forum for further questions and discussion.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Help with trig equation :)?

sin x = 2 sin x cos x

Here is a link to the question:

Help with trig equation :)? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello eaglesfan1717,

We are given to solve:

\(\displaystyle \sin(x)=2\sin(x)\cos(x)\)

I would arrange the equation so that we may factor and utilize the zero-factor property:

\(\displaystyle 2\sin(x)\cos(x)-\sin(x)=0\)

\(\displaystyle \sin(x)(2\cos(x)-1)=0\)

Equating the factors in turn to zero yields the following roots:

i) \(\displaystyle \sin(x)=0\)

\(\displaystyle x=k\pi\) where \(\displaystyle k\in\mathbb{Z}\).

ii) \(\displaystyle 2\cos(x)-1=0\)

\(\displaystyle \cos(x)=\frac{1}{2}\)

\(\displaystyle x=\pm\frac{\pi}{3}+2k\pi=\frac{\pi}{3}(6k\pm1)\)

To eaglesfan1717 and any other guests viewing this topic, I invite and encourage you to post your trigonometry questions in our http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f12/ forum.

Best Regards,

Mark.

Related to Eaglesfan1717's question at Yahoo Answers regarding a trigonometric equation

1. What is the trigonometric equation that Eaglesfan1717 asked about?

The trigonometric equation is not specified in Eaglesfan1717's question. They only mention that they are having trouble solving it.

2. What is the difficulty level of this equation?

Unfortunately, without knowing the specific equation, it is difficult to determine the difficulty level. However, trigonometric equations can range from simple to complex, so it is important to understand the basic principles and techniques used to solve them.

3. Can you provide a step-by-step solution to the equation?

Without knowing the equation, it is impossible to provide a step-by-step solution. Each trigonometric equation requires a different approach and the steps may vary.

4. Is there a specific method or formula that can be used to solve this type of equation?

Yes, there are various methods and formulas that can be used to solve different types of trigonometric equations. Some common methods include using trigonometric identities, substitution, and factoring. It is important to understand which method is best suited for a specific equation.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for solving trigonometric equations?

Yes, there are some helpful tips and tricks for solving trigonometric equations. Some include using symmetry, simplifying the equation, and using special angles. It is also important to carefully review the equation and make sure all angles and values are in the correct units.