Earth's Magnetic Field: Why Doesn't It Lose Its Properties?

In summary: This is not true, and when we try to model fields using currents, we need to be careful not to take the idea literally.
Luiz Felipe Ramos
We know that when a magnet is exposed to high temperatures, it loses its magnetic properties. Why then does the Earth's magnetic field behave differently? That is, why doesn't the Earth lose its magnetic properties? According to BBC News Brasil, the core temperature is around 6000 ° C, higher than the Curie point for iron and nickel components.

Attachment:

https://www.bbc.com/portuguese/noticias/2013/04/130428_terra_temperatura_nucleo_sol_rw - Access date: 07/02/2021.

Thanks for listening!

Physics news on Phys.org
How can there be a magnetic field from a copper coil when copper doesn't even have a Curie temperature?

Likes jim mcnamara, nasu, Luiz Felipe Ramos and 1 other person
PeroK said:
All magnetic fields are caused by electric currents, of one form or another.
I think magnetic fields from permanently magnetized materials should be excluded. Yes, one can use magnetization currents to model such fields but one has to be careful not to take this idea literally. My concern is that one might lose sight of the magnetic moment of the electron as one of its intrinsic properties.

Likes Luiz Felipe Ramos and vanhees71
kuruman said:
I think magnetic fields from permanently magnetized materials should be excluded. Yes, one can use magnetization currents to model such fields but one has to be careful not to take this idea literally. My concern is that one might lose sight of the magnetic moment of the electron as one of its intrinsic properties.

You quoted @PeroK

But I don't understand if you are arguing against his link ( which is appropriate for the thread) or what your point is ?

kuruman said:
That's underlined by the fact that the gyrofactor is around ##2## for the intrinsic magnetization of the electron due to its spin (which is a result of minimal coupling of the em. field and can be derived both within relativistic (Dirac equation) and non-relativistic (Pauli equation) when the "minimal coupling" is done right ;-)).

For a magnetization due to a current the gyro factor is 1.

Likes Luiz Felipe Ramos
davenn said:
You quoted @PeroK
But I don't understand if you are arguing against his link ( which is appropriate for the thread) or what your point is ?
I was not arguing against the link. I was trying to clarify to OP that, in a permanent magnet below the Curie point, the existing magnetic field is not generated by currents of the charge transport variety. My objection was to the sweeping use of "all" as in "All magnetic fields are caused by electric currents".

Likes vanhees71 and Charles Link

1. How does Earth's magnetic field work?

Earth's magnetic field is created by the movement of molten iron in the outer core of the planet. As the molten iron moves, it generates electric currents, which in turn create a magnetic field.

2. Why doesn't Earth's magnetic field lose its properties?

Earth's magnetic field is constantly changing, but it does not lose its properties because of a process called the geodynamo. This process involves the constant motion of the molten iron in the core, which continuously generates the magnetic field.

3. What would happen if Earth's magnetic field disappeared?

If Earth's magnetic field were to disappear, the planet would be exposed to more harmful radiation from the sun and outer space. This could have negative effects on both living organisms and technology on Earth.

4. How do scientists study Earth's magnetic field?

Scientists study Earth's magnetic field using instruments called magnetometers, which measure the strength and direction of the magnetic field. They also use satellite data and geological records to track changes in the field over time.

5. Can Earth's magnetic field reverse its polarity?

Yes, Earth's magnetic field has reversed its polarity many times throughout its history. The last reversal occurred about 780,000 years ago, and there is evidence that the field is currently weakening, which could lead to another reversal in the future.