Edit time for conversation replies is too short

• Thread starter strangerep
  • Start date
In summary, Micromass and dextercioby are discussing the thesis of Micro, and Micro has put up a nontrivial barrier to easy conversation replies. Micromass has offered to extend the conversation time, but Dextercioby wonders if such public discussions are a good idea.
strangerep
Science Advisor
I'm having a nontrivial conversation with Micromass (and dextercioby) about Micro's thesis, but there (seems to be) no full latex preview when preparing conversation replies. After I posted a reply, I needed to do a lot more editing, as the topic (extensions of the nuclear spectral theorem) is quite difficult. But the editing time is only 5 mins(!). Can this be lengthened please?

(In view of the vast amounts of help that Micromass has given on PF, I think he deserves all the comments and suggestions, etc, that sufficiently knowledgeable people on PF could offer.)

Separately, it occurs to me that (sub-)forums for discussion of theses-in-preparation might be useful for many PhD students, if the student so wishes. Currently, that's probably outside the PF guidelines, but if the thesis is being prepared in a formal tertiary environment, maybe that would be ok (since crackpots would be excluded). You could even regard it as a super-advanced extension of the "homework" forum concept... oo)

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
I've extended it to 15min for now.

For your second part, the staff is actually discussing it at this moment and hope to unveil a solution in the coming weeks.

Likes dlgoff
strangerep said:
(In view of the vast amounts of help that Micromass has given on PF, I think he deserves all the comments and suggestions, etc, that sufficiently knowledgeable people on PF could offer.)
That's outstanding!

The only trouble with such public discussions on PhD theses in progress is that perhaps somebody could steal an idea from the thesis before the one who really works on the subject publishes it. I've never experienced something like this in my field, but I'd be a bit careful.

Well, you shouldn't make sensitive parts public. This is a much more general rule, not limited to this forum.

vanhees71 said:
The only trouble with such public discussions on PhD theses in progress is that perhaps somebody could steal an idea from the thesis before the one who really works on the subject publishes it. [...]
Yes, that thought occurred to me also. Initially, I thought that having a snapshot of thesis stored at PF might establish priority, but... that's probably more trouble than it's worth.

In any case, I wonder how many PhD students would actually make use of such a facility, and whether the PF community is indeed large enough to engage productively with all the subtle nooks and crannies of the myriad obscure lines of research out there. (Just look at all the reams of new papers appearing daily on the arXiv...)

I begin to suspect a new law of Nature: "Thou shalt not conduct useful scientific research on Internet forums". :oldfrown:

Likes vanhees71
Don't SA's have infinite time to edit posts? I can edit my own posts way after I posted it...like several days even.

Matterwave said:
Don't SA's have infinite time to edit posts? I can edit my own posts way after I posted it...like several days even.
The settings for conversations and forum posts are separate.

Greg Bernhardt said:
The settings for conversations and forum posts are separate.

Ah, ok.

strangerep said:
In any case, I wonder how many PhD students would actually make use of such a facility, and whether the PF community is indeed large enough to engage productively with all the subtle nooks and crannies of the myriad obscure lines of research out there. (Just look at all the reams of new papers appearing daily on the arXiv...)
Could be useful for some non-critical parts like the description of the experiment, the physics the research is based on, sometimes the analysis method (without result, unless it is public at that time).

For the interesting scientific parts, something I wrote before:
mfb said:
Same here.
Work-related questions are (1) way too specialized, (2) often require knowledge of the software packages we are using, and (3) usually involve things I cannot make public.
I would have to limit the discussion to members of my collaboration (or keep them extremely abstract). We have some of them here I think, but the chance that they worked on a similar topic is small. It is much easier to send a mail to colleagues where those conditions are no problem.

What is the purpose of editing time for conversation replies?

The purpose of editing time for conversation replies is to allow users to make necessary changes or corrections to their replies before they are permanently posted. This can help improve the accuracy and clarity of the conversation.

Why is the current editing time for conversation replies considered too short?

The current editing time for conversation replies may be considered too short because it does not give users enough time to thoroughly review and make necessary changes to their replies. This can lead to mistakes or incomplete responses being posted.

What are the potential consequences of having a short editing time for conversation replies?

The potential consequences of having a short editing time for conversation replies include inaccurate or unclear information being shared, misunderstandings between users, and a decrease in the overall quality of the conversation.

How can the editing time for conversation replies be extended?

The editing time for conversation replies can be extended by adjusting the settings or preferences in the platform where the conversation takes place. This can typically be done by the platform administrators or moderators.

Are there any alternatives to extending the editing time for conversation replies?

Yes, there are alternatives to extending the editing time for conversation replies. Users can take their time to carefully review their responses before posting, or they can delete and repost their reply if they notice any mistakes or changes that need to be made.