EE MS & Physics PhD: Advantages in Job Market?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of obtaining both a physics PhD and an EE MS while in a Physics PhD program. The person is considering this option due to the competitive job market and the potential benefit of having an engineering degree. However, it is advised that if the person is solely interested in pursuing an EE job, it would be more advantageous to stop with a master's degree. The Physics PhD may not be as relevant unless the person has done relevant work in that field.
alexvgau
I have recently started a Physics PhD program. The first two years are mostly coursework, and the requirements are somewhat flexible. Once you pass all your courses, you pretty much automatically get a Physics masters. But, if I choose my courses wisely, I could probably end up with an EE MS on the way to the physics PhD.

I would like to stay in academia, but due to the tough job market, I recognize that there is a good chance I'll end up looking for jobs in industry. I have heard that many companies look for engineering degrees over physics degrees. When looking for jobs, do you think it would be advantageous to have an EE MS as well as the physics PhD?

The only downside of this plan I can think of would be that I'd have to take elective courses in the EE dept. that are somewhat less interesting to me than those I might take in the physics department.

Physics news on Phys.org
The EE degree will help you get EE jobs if you decide not to pursue postdocs in Physics. The hiring manager will wonder (rightly) why you got a Physics PhD and are then applying to EE jobs. Before you do that make sure you have a good answer to that question.

Bottom line is: if you want an EE job, it would be better to stop with the Masters. The Physics PhD won't help UNLESS you do work relevant to the job you're applying for.

1. What is the difference between an EE MS and a Physics PhD?

An EE MS (electrical engineering master's degree) focuses on the application of electrical principles and technology in various industries, while a Physics PhD (doctorate in physics) delves deeper into the fundamental principles and theories of physics. Both degrees have a strong foundation in math and science, but an EE MS is more geared towards practical, hands-on skills while a Physics PhD is more research-oriented.

2. What are the advantages of having both an EE MS and a Physics PhD in the job market?

Having both an EE MS and a Physics PhD can make you highly versatile and marketable in the job market. You will have a strong foundation in both practical and theoretical aspects of electrical engineering and physics, which can open up job opportunities in a wide range of industries, such as technology, aerospace, energy, and telecommunications.

3. Are there any specific job roles or industries that value the combination of an EE MS and a Physics PhD?

Yes, there are several job roles and industries that specifically seek candidates with both an EE MS and a Physics PhD. These include research and development positions in industries such as telecommunications, energy, and aerospace, as well as academic and research positions in universities and government institutions.

4. Do employers view candidates with an EE MS and a Physics PhD more favorably compared to those with just one of these degrees?

It depends on the specific job role and industry. Some employers may value the combination of both degrees, as it showcases a diverse skill set and a strong understanding of both practical and theoretical aspects. However, there may be other job roles where having just one of these degrees is sufficient.

5. How can having an EE MS and a Physics PhD enhance career advancement opportunities?

Holding both an EE MS and a Physics PhD can open up various opportunities for career advancement. With a strong foundation in both practical and theoretical aspects, you may be able to take on more challenging and higher-level roles in your industry. Additionally, having a PhD can also lead to opportunities for teaching and research positions in universities, which can further enhance career advancement opportunities.