EE or Architecture? Making the Decision by the End of the Month

In summary, the conversation discusses the decision between pursuing a career in EE or architecture. The person has always been interested in architecture but is also good in physics and interested in energy. They are facing a dilemma of following their true passion or making a more practical decision for a higher salary. The conversation also mentions the use of technology in drawing and the possibility of combining architecture with civil engineering. Other engineering paths are also mentioned.
garbiiiiis
HI all

I have to make a decision by the end of the month.. EE or ARCITECTURE?

tbh I wanted to be an architect since I was 10. But after "maturing" I guess your'e forced to face reality...

Everything's fascinating about architecture, I don't draw well though. For example, from roman architects, that made columns thicker near the middle to make it look different, to modern architecture...
I've always loved geometry, trig and any homework involving rulers or compass' (I can't emphasise how much I like a project i had due that entailed drawing columns, it was so exciting using rulers and a compass and be exact.) the only setbacks are that in the state i currently live I definitely need a masters to take the licensure exams (that'll take till my early 30s after all the exams). Also the starting pay sucks and you need your break to succeed.

On the other hand I'm also good in physics and interested very much in energy. And the pay is awesome. Nikola Tesla is my biggest role model also!
(just to let you guys know that I am not thinking about only ee for the money)

Also when I show a friend a work I've done, I get excited when they appreciate how brilliant it is and the amount of knowledge I haVE putten into it. I could care less about the "beautifulness" of a work I do.

So the real question is, fallow your true passion even though you know you'll finally enjoy yourself way in the future. Or go with your brain decision and earn well..?..
TY.

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll be happy to know that almost no one uses physical tools to draw anymore. Rulers and compasses have been replaced by CAD.

You certainly are facing a stark choice in career fields: EE is a highly technical and demanding choice; architecture, IMO, a lot of attitude, some fancy sketches, but most of the heavy lifting is done by civil and mechanical engineers who must ensure the architect's 'vision' doesn't collapse into a pile of rubble.

I would be a bit more nuanced than SteamKing - you can be an architect with a Civil Engineering degree - basically, you would be the creative AND the design forces behind a project. That may take 2 degrees though but you would have a lot of value, i.e. you would provide things that are architecturally sound AND that can be built.

As an EE, you would go through a hefty quantity of math, that will prepare you for a wide range of careers: I am an EE and I am working in Security Risk Consulting. From my past, I mostly use statistics.

Have you thought of other types of engineering? Nuclear? Aerospace?

J.

1. What is the difference between electrical engineering (EE) and architecture?

EE is a field of engineering that focuses on the study, design, and development of electrical systems and devices, while architecture is the art and science of designing and constructing buildings and other structures.

2. Which field has better job prospects and salary potential?

Both EE and architecture have promising job prospects and salary potential. However, job opportunities in EE tend to be more abundant due to the increasing demand for advanced technology in various industries. On the other hand, architects often have higher potential for salary growth as they gain experience and take on more complex projects.

3. How do I decide between pursuing a degree in EE or architecture?

It ultimately depends on your interests and strengths. If you enjoy working with electrical systems and have strong problem-solving skills, EE may be a better fit for you. If you have a passion for design and enjoy using creativity to solve problems, architecture may be a better choice.

4. What courses are typically required for a degree in EE or architecture?

For a degree in EE, common courses include circuit analysis, digital systems, electromagnetics, and power systems. For a degree in architecture, typical courses include architectural design, building materials and construction, and architectural history and theory.

5. Is it possible to switch between EE and architecture after completing a degree?

While it is possible to switch between these fields, it may require additional coursework and training. For example, an EE graduate may need to take additional design courses to transition into architecture, while an architecture graduate may need to take math and science courses to transition into EE. It is important to carefully consider your career goals and interests before deciding on a degree program.