How can the effect of air temperature on an object be quantified?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of calculating the time it takes for a cold bottle of water to reach a certain temperature in a warm room. The thermal flux coefficient and specific thermal conductivity are mentioned as factors that affect this calculation. The conversation also mentions the need for a differential equation to accurately model the bottle and its contents. The difficulty of the problem is highlighted, as well as the concept of the maximum amount of energy that air of a certain temperature can give to an object. While some helpful resources are mentioned, there is no definitive formula or equation provided.
PytrTchaikovsky
Let's say I have a cold bottle of water in a warm room (temperature is constant). Is it possible to calculate how long it will take for the water to reach a certain temperature? Do you guys know any formula for this? To be more general:

What is the effect (W, J/s) that air in a certain temperature give an object surrounded by the air?

Science news on Phys.org
PytrTchaikovsky said:
What is the effect (W, J/s) that air in a certain temperature give an object surrounded by the air?
Yes, that's the big question. That depends of how the bottle is placed ( hanging in a wire / placed on a table ) and the shape of the bottle ( the relation: surface / volume is important ). This thermal flux coefficient is calculated with [ W/ΔTemperature ] as unit.

Having found the thermal flux coefficient, you can make a differential equation.

Likes PytrTchaikovsky
Hesch said:
Yes, that's the big question. That depends of how the bottle is placed ( hanging in a wire / placed on a table ) and the shape of the bottle ( the relation: surface / volume is important ). This thermal flux coefficient is calculated with [ W/ΔTemperature ] as unit.

Having found the thermal flux coefficient, you can make a differential equation.

Thank you very much. Damn this is complex. Thought it would be like putting water on the stove and calculating when it will boil. Is it possble to calculate all of this theoretically, without experimenting? Are there any formulas out there? Tried looking all this up on Wikipedia, found this:

98008b679d74c27307d86640314e0878.png

151402b443097619f039039bd77bc675.png
is the local heat flux density, W·m−2,
ec2aa8ec0ee0f525bcf413c9fd8e87e9.png
is the material's conductivity, W·m−1·K−1,
c29d7b28f7486d0388b856afd85ddd30.png
is the temperature gradient, K·m−1.

Is this
151402b443097619f039039bd77bc675.png
the thermal flux coefficient you mentioned? Note that the "m" in the explanation above isn't mass, it is meters. How do I apply a distance to my water? How can I take this further to calculate the time it takes to heat the water?

Thanks

PytrTchaikovsky said:
Is this
p?image=https%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.org%2Fmath%2F1%2F5%2F1%2F151402b443097619f039039bd77bc675.png
the thermal flux coefficient you mentioned?
No, that's the flux density [ W/m2].
I would say that k [ W/(K*m)] is closer. Actually the unit is [ (W*m)/(K*m2 ) ], meaning that k*area/thickness [ W/K ] gives the "thermal flux coefficient". ( I think it's a term of my own? ). You can also call it "the specific thermal conductiviy" for a material.
PytrTchaikovsky said:
Are there any formulas out there?
No, but there are some "rule of thumb":
If you have a black copper plate, about 3mm thick and mounted vertically, the thermal resistance will be θ = 600/A [ K/W ], where A is its area in cm2. But I don't think your bottle is black, and it's not made of copper.
PytrTchaikovsky said:
How can I take this further to calculate the time it takes to heat the water?
You must make some differential equation, modelling your bottle containing water. The solution to the equation will be an exponential function. Isolate t (time) in an equation.

You may make a model by connecting a resistor and a capacitor in series and then charge the capacitor through the resistor. The current through the resistor is similar to the thermal flux, the voltage drop across the resistor is the temperature difference between air and bottle, the capacitor voltage is the temperature of the bottle.

The bottle is a difficult problem because when the air heats up the water, the warm water will be gathered at the top of the bottle and vica versa. So speaking of temperature of the water, you could ask: Where in the bottle?

Last edited:
Likes PytrTchaikovsky
Hesch said:
No, that's the flux density [ W/m2].
I would say that k [ W/(K*m)] is closer. Actually the unit is [ (W*m)/(K*m2 ) ], meaning that k*area/thickness [ W/K ] gives the "thermal flux coefficient". ( I think it's a term of my own? ). You can also call it "the specific thermal conductiviy" for a material.

No, but there are some "rule of thumb":
If you have a black copper plate, about 3mm thick and mounted vertically, the thermal resistance will be θ = 600/A [ K/W ], where A is its area in cm2. But I don't think your bottle is black, and it's not made of copper.

You must make some differential equation, modelling your bottle containing water. The solution to the equation will be an exponential function. Isolate t (time) in an equation.

You may make a model by connecting a resistor and a capacitor in series and then charge the capacitor through the resistor. The current through the resistor is similar to the thermal flux, the voltage drop across the resistor is the temperature difference between air and bottle, the capacitor voltage is the temperature of the bottle.

The bottle is a difficult problem because when the air heats up the water, the warm water will be gathered at the top of the bottle and vica versa. So speaking of temperature of the water, you could ask: Where in the bottle?

Found this lecture from MIT, touched the subject a little, but went more to chemistry.
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/chemistr...-state-of-a-system-0th-law-equation-of-state/

Also: I feel like air of a certain temperature higher than an object should have a maximum amount of energy that it can give that object during a certain time, joules per second, W. Then as you say, the object may have certain proporities that make it less able to absorb that energy. But, that maximum W of the air of a certain temperature compared to the object, should be some sort of constant according to me. Been searching all over to find something, but does not really seem to find anyting of value.

Thank you again, if you find more helpful information i will be glad. Will try to fix a equation of some sort.

Last edited:

What is the relationship between temperature and effect (W)?

The relationship between temperature and effect (W) is that as temperature increases, the effect (W) also increases. This is known as a positive correlation, where the two variables are directly proportional to each other.

How does temperature affect the magnitude of effect (W)?

Temperature affects the magnitude of effect (W) by influencing the speed of molecules or particles. As temperature increases, the molecules or particles move faster, resulting in a larger effect (W).

Can temperature have a negative effect on effect (W)?

Yes, in some cases, temperature can have a negative effect on effect (W). For example, in certain chemical reactions, increased temperature can cause the reaction to slow down, resulting in a decrease in effect (W).

How can temperature be controlled to achieve a desired effect (W)?

Temperature can be controlled by adjusting the amount of heat or energy added or removed from a system. This can be done through various methods such as using a thermostat, insulating materials, or changing the temperature of the surrounding environment.

What is the significance of studying the effect of temperature on effect (W)?

Studying the effect of temperature on effect (W) is important because it helps us understand the behavior of different substances and materials under different temperatures. This knowledge can be applied in various fields such as engineering, chemistry, and physics to optimize processes and improve efficiency.