Eigenvalues of a 4x4 matrix and the algebraic multipicities

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the eigenvalues and their multiplicities of a given 4 x 4 matrix. The method used to find the characteristic polynomial is mentioned and the final answer is given as a set of pairs. The expert summarizer also suggests a more efficient method for finding the characteristic polynomial.
andrelutz001
Hi everyone

Homework Statement

Consider the following 4 x 4 matrix:

A = [[6,3,-8,-4],[0,10,6,7],[0,0,6,-3],[0,0,0,6]]

Find the eigenvalues of the matrix and their multiplicities. Give your answer as a set of pairs:
{[lambda1,multiplicity1],[lambda2,multiplicity2],...}

2. Homework Equations

det(A-λI)=0

The Attempt at a Solution

Set up the characteristics equation and solve it:

A = [[6,3,-8,-4],[0,10,6,7],[0,0,6,-3],[0,0,0,6]] det(A-λI)= [[6-λ,3,-8,-4],[0,10-λ,6,7],[0,0,6-λ,-3],[0,0,0,6-λ]]

This is the part where I think I am likely to make a mistake since it is rather difficult to factorize the characteristic polynomial using conventional methods(by hand).

Therefore after a few steps the characteristic polynomial for the above matrix is:

(λ^4)-(28*λ^3)+(288* λ^2)-(1296 *λ)+2160

Factorizing the characteristic polynomial yields:

((λ-10)(λ-6)^3)

Looking at the problem statement again, the question asks to find the eigenvalues and the algebraic multiplicities.

λ-10=0 therefore λ1=10
λ-6=0 therefore λ2=6

I know that the term algebraic multiplicity of an eigenvalue means the number of times it is repeated as a root of the characteristic equation.
With this in mind I am inclined to state that for λ1=10 the algebraic multiplicity is 1 and for
λ2=6 the algebraic multiplicity is 3.

Therefore the answer as a set of pairs mentioned above {[lambda1,multiplicity1],[lambda2,multiplicity2],...} is {[10,1],[6,3]}

I have made a good attempt at solving this question, am I on the right track?

Thank you in advance,

Andrei

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see any problems. But you did work too hard to find the characteristic polynomial. Your matrix is upper triangular. If you had used a determinant method like expansion by minors, you would have gotten the determinant to come out directly as (6-λ)*(10-λ)*(6-λ)*(6-λ). Only the diagonal elements contribute.

Thank you

Related to Eigenvalues of a 4x4 matrix and the algebraic multipicities

1. What is the definition of eigenvalues and algebraic multiplicities for a 4x4 matrix?

Eigenvalues of a 4x4 matrix are the scalar values that when multiplied by the corresponding eigenvectors produce the original matrix. Algebraic multiplicities refer to the number of times an eigenvalue appears as a root of the characteristic polynomial of the matrix.

2. How do you calculate the eigenvalues of a 4x4 matrix?

To calculate the eigenvalues of a 4x4 matrix, you need to first find the characteristic polynomial of the matrix by taking the determinant of (A - λI), where A is the matrix and λ is the eigenvalue. Then, solve the polynomial to find the roots, which will be the eigenvalues of the matrix.

3. Can a 4x4 matrix have more than 4 eigenvalues?

No, a 4x4 matrix can have at most 4 distinct eigenvalues. This is because the characteristic polynomial of a 4x4 matrix is a fourth degree polynomial, which can have at most 4 distinct roots. However, an eigenvalue can have a multiplicity greater than 1, meaning it appears as a root of the polynomial multiple times.

4. How do you determine the algebraic multiplicities of the eigenvalues of a 4x4 matrix?

The algebraic multiplicity of an eigenvalue can be determined by looking at the power of the corresponding root in the characteristic polynomial. For example, if an eigenvalue appears as a root of the polynomial with a power of 2, its algebraic multiplicity is 2.

5. Can a 4x4 matrix have complex eigenvalues?

Yes, a 4x4 matrix can have complex eigenvalues. This is because the characteristic polynomial of a 4x4 matrix can have complex coefficients, which can result in complex eigenvalues. Complex eigenvalues always appear in conjugate pairs, meaning if a + bi is an eigenvalue, then a - bi will also be an eigenvalue.