Eigenvector of Pauli Matrix (z-component of Pauli matrix)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding eigen vectors for the x and y components of a Pauli matrix, with no issues. However, there is difficulty in finding the eigen vector for the z-component, with eigen values of 1 and -1. A set of eigenvectors corresponding to eigenvalue 1 is a one-dimensional subspace of all multiples of (1, 0). The equation is solved by y=0 and x can be any value, with the option for determining a normalized eigenvector for a concrete answer.
roshan2004
I have had no problem while finding the eigen vectors for the x and y components of pauli matrix. However, while solving for the z- component, I got stuck. The eigen values are 1 and -1. While solving for the eigen vector corresponding to the eigen value 1 using [tex](\sigma _z-\lambda I)X=0[/tex],
I got [tex]\left( \begin{matrix} 0 & 0 \\ 0 & -2 \end{matrix} \right)\left( \begin{matrix} x \\ y\end{matrix} \right)=0[/tex]
Now, how can I find the eigen vector for eigen value 1 with this relation since it will give me only [tex]-2y=0[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that says that y= 0. Since you have NO equation restricting x, x can be any thing. An eigenvector corresponding to eigenvalue 1 is (x, 0)= x(1, 0).

(Perhaps you are missing the fact that the set of all eigenvectors corresponding to a single eigenvalue is a subspace of the vector space. The set of eigenvectors corresponding to eigenvalue 1 is the one dimensional subspace of all multiples of (1, 0).)

That equation is solved by ##y=0##; ##x## can be anything, but you can determine the normalized eigenvector if you want a concrete answer.

1. What is an eigenvector of Pauli matrix?

An eigenvector of Pauli matrix is a vector that, when multiplied by the Pauli matrix, results in a scalar multiple of the original vector. In other words, it is a special vector that does not change direction when multiplied by the Pauli matrix.

2. What is the z-component of Pauli matrix?

The z-component of Pauli matrix refers to the third column of the Pauli matrix, which corresponds to the z-axis in a three-dimensional coordinate system. It represents the spin of a particle along the z-axis.

3. How is the eigenvector of Pauli matrix related to quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the eigenvector of Pauli matrix is used to represent the spin state of a particle. By measuring the eigenvalue of the Pauli matrix, one can determine the spin state of the particle along the z-axis.

4. What is the significance of the eigenvector of Pauli matrix in physics?

The eigenvector of Pauli matrix is significant in physics because it represents a state of a particle that is conserved in certain physical processes. It also plays a crucial role in quantum mechanics, especially in the study of spin and angular momentum.

5. How is the eigenvector of Pauli matrix calculated?

The eigenvector of Pauli matrix can be calculated using linear algebra techniques, specifically by finding the null space of the matrix. It can also be found by solving the eigenvalue problem, where the eigenvalue is multiplied by the identity matrix and subtracted from the Pauli matrix, resulting in a system of linear equations that can be solved for the eigenvector.