Einstein Notation for Stored Energy Function

In summary, the conversation discusses a formula commonly used in physics literature for stain energy function. The formula involves matrices and indices ranging from 1 to 3. The question is raised about the interpretation of the formula in non-Einstein notation, specifically whether it is an abuse of notation. It is clarified that the formula does make sense in Einstein notation.
singularme
Dear all,

I encounter the following formula (for stain energy function) a lot in physics literature:

[itex]
W(\epsilon_{kl}) = \int_0^{\epsilon_{kl}} \sigma_{ij} \textrm{d}\epsilon_{ij}
[/itex]

where all indices ranges from 1 to 3, both [itex]\epsilon[/itex] and [itex]\sigma[/itex] are 3x3 matrices.

My question is what exactly does it mean in non-Einstein notation? Is it an abuse of notation? Because when I see [itex]W(\epsilon_{kl})=\cdots[/itex], I feel it should interpreted as 9 separate equations (with [itex]kl[/itex] replaced by 11, 12, 13, 21, 22, 23, 31, 32, 33), which does not make sense in this case.

Thanks a lot!
James

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello James! Welcome to PF! :smile:
singularme said:
… when I see [itex]W(\epsilon_{kl})=\cdots[/itex], I feel it should interpreted as 9 separate equations (with [itex]kl[/itex] replaced by 11, 12, 13, 21, 22, 23, 31, 32, 33), which does not make sense in this case.

No, it does make sense!

W(εkl) = … is nine separate equations in Einstein notation.

The i and j on the RHS are "dummy" indices, but the k and l on both the RHS and LHS are not "dummy" indices. :wink:

Related to Einstein Notation for Stored Energy Function

1. What is Einstein Notation for Stored Energy Function?

Einstein Notation for Stored Energy Function is a mathematical notation used to express the stored energy in a system, typically in the context of physics and engineering. It was developed by physicist Albert Einstein and is also known as the einstein notation or tensor index notation.

2. How is Einstein Notation for Stored Energy Function written?

Einstein Notation uses Greek letters to represent the indices of the tensor components, and the components themselves are written as subscripts and superscripts. The notation follows the convention of repeated indices implying summation over those indices.

3. What is the purpose of using Einstein Notation for Stored Energy Function?

This notation allows for a concise and elegant representation of complex equations involving tensors, making it easier to manipulate and solve problems related to stored energy. It also helps to avoid ambiguity and confusion that can arise from using traditional notation.

4. Can Einstein Notation for Stored Energy Function be used in all fields of science?

While this notation was originally developed for use in physics, it has also been adopted in other fields such as mathematics, engineering, and computer science. It can be used whenever there is a need to represent and manipulate tensors in equations related to stored energy.

5. Are there any limitations to using Einstein Notation for Stored Energy Function?

Einstein Notation is a powerful tool, but it does have some limitations. It can be difficult to understand and use for those who are not familiar with tensor mathematics. It also has a steep learning curve and may not be suitable for simple equations or problems.