Elastic collision considering the angle of impact

In summary, the author tries to solve the problem of two spheres colliding by considering the angle of impact. He finds that the coefficients of restitution are always equal, which suggests that the impulse exerted on the other sphere is only x-directional.
luckis11
https://www.plasmaphysics.org.uk/collision2d.htm

This is the only one I found, but when I plug in the numbers of his example I get a wrong result. Do you know any others who solved it i.e. considering the angle of impact? Angle of impact I name the angle that is shaped between the initial dx with the surface that separates the 2 balls at the time of impact (the other ball is still before the impact).

Physics news on Phys.org
Please be more specific. What is the question you are trying to answer? What numbers are you plugging in and what result do you get? Why do you say that the result is wrong? The angle of impact is defined in the link you posted and presumably the equations in the link are based on that definition. I am not sure whether your definition is the same because I don't understand it.

The only thing I asked is if you know other sites that solved the same problem as he did. I do not know if he solved it correctly, I just find it impossible to understand it better (and thus get correct results), so the only solution is another site.

luckis11 said:
The only thing I asked is if you know other sites that solved the same problem as he did. I do not know if he solved it correctly, I just find it impossible to understand it better (and thus get correct results), so the only solution is another site.
You can down load Landau and Lifshitz "Mechanics" for free. Google " Landau and Lifshitz Mechanics pdf". Read pages 44-46 which is a derivation of the problem in center of mass coordinates.

Fred Wright said:
You can down load Landau and Lifshitz "Mechanics" for free.

Legally? Lots of things are on the web that aren't exactly legal.

At the time of the collision it's most convenient to take a coordinate system with one axis (the ##x##-axis, say) parallel to the line of centres of the two spheres. Then, resolving the two initial velocities ##\mathbf{u}_1 = (u_{1x}, u_{1y})## and ##\mathbf{u}_2 = (u_{2x}, u_{2y})##, and similarly for the final velocities ##\mathbf{v}_1## and ##\mathbf{v}_1##, you can write one equation using that the coefficient restitution ##e=1##, $$u_{1x} - u_{2x} = v_{2x} - v_{1x} \ \ \ (1)$$then one equation by conserving the ##x##-momentum,
$$m_1 u_{1x} + m_2 u_{2x} = m_1 v_{1x} + m_2 v_{2x} \ \ \ (2)$$and those two equations can be easily solved given ##u_{1x}## and ##u_{2x}##. Further, since the impulse either exerts on the other has only an ##x##-component, you can write down ##u_{1y} = v_{1y}## and ##u_{2y} = v_{2y}##.
luckis11 said:
Here, the equations of this, where are they. And they took in account the angle of impact or they theorized that it is 45 degrees?
I don't think "45 degrees" is a relevant number for that simulation!

You must be kidding me. Think it over.

@luckis11 that is not very nice, so I will not help you any more. [Also, this thread really ought to be "B" level, it is a fairly common school-level maths question in the UK at least.]

Thread closed for Moderation...

EDIT -- This thread will remain closed. OP has reposted a more focused question in this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/reports/queue/reports.1/52717/

Last edited:
Likes etotheipi

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision in which the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the initial and final kinetic energies are equal, and there is no loss of energy during the collision.

2. How does the angle of impact affect an elastic collision?

The angle of impact affects the direction and magnitude of the velocities of the objects after the collision. In an elastic collision, the angle of impact is important because it determines the direction of the velocities after the collision.

3. What is the difference between an elastic and inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, while in an inelastic collision, some kinetic energy is lost due to deformation or other factors. In an elastic collision, the objects rebound off of each other, while in an inelastic collision, they stick together or deform upon impact.

4. How is the angle of impact calculated in an elastic collision?

The angle of impact can be calculated using the law of conservation of momentum and the law of conservation of kinetic energy. By solving for the angles of the velocities before and after the collision, the angle of impact can be determined.

5. Can an elastic collision occur between objects of different masses?

Yes, an elastic collision can occur between objects of different masses. The conservation of momentum and kinetic energy equations take into account the masses of the objects, so an elastic collision can occur between objects of different masses as long as the other conditions for an elastic collision are met.