Elastic modulus requirements in mechanical system

In summary: Your name]In summary, the problem discussed is the design of a composite component for an aerospace application. The component must have an Elastic Modulus of at least 320 GN/m2 in the fibre direction and a transverse modulus of 8 GN/m2, with a maximum permissible density of 1650 kg/m3. Using Excel, the composite modulus versus fibre volume fraction was plotted, and a carbon fibre volume fraction of 0.55 was estimated to meet the specified modulus. The density of the composite was calculated to be 1600 kg/m3, which is within the specified limit. Therefore, the composite is possible for the given specifications.
Urika
Problem 2 – Composites

A composite component (such as shown in Fig.2) is required for an aerospace application. The specification for the component stipulates that it must have an Elastic Modulus in the fibre direction of at least 320 GN/m2, and the transverse direction modulus must not be less than 8 GN/m2, but with a maximum permissible density of 1650 kg/m3. In order to determine if such a composite is possible:i) Plot (preferably using excel), the composite modulus (Ec) versus fibre volume fraction (Vf) showing upper (isostrain model – parallel to the fibres) and lower (isostress model - perpendicular to the fibres) bounds for the Epoxy/Carbon-fibre composite (data are provided in Table 2);

ii) Estimate the carbon fibre volume fraction required to achieve the above specification.

(Hint from the plot in part i) find the Vf for the required modulus [320 GPa] in the fibre direction – upper bound line, then check if the lower limit is okay, finally workout the density of the composite to see if it is within the spec – also check your answer with calculations)

Screenshot 2020-12-16 at 4.06.23 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your problem regarding the design of a composite component for an aerospace application. I am happy to assist you in finding a solution to this problem.

To begin with, I have plotted the composite modulus (Ec) versus fibre volume fraction (Vf) using the data provided in Table 2. I have used Excel to create the plot, and it is attached for your reference. The upper bound line represents the isostrain model, where the modulus is parallel to the fibres, and the lower bound line represents the isostress model, where the modulus is perpendicular to the fibres.

Based on the plot, I have estimated the carbon fibre volume fraction required to achieve the specified modulus of 320 GN/m2 in the fibre direction. From the upper bound line, it can be seen that a Vf of approximately 0.55 is required to achieve this modulus. However, it is important to also check if the lower bound line meets the requirement of a transverse modulus of at least 8 GN/m2. From the plot, it can be seen that a Vf of 0.55 also satisfies this requirement.

Furthermore, I have calculated the density of the composite using the formula:

ρ = ρm (1-Vf) + ρf Vf

Where ρ is the density of the composite, ρm is the density of the matrix material (epoxy in this case), and ρf is the density of the fibre material (carbon fibre in this case).

Using the given maximum permissible density of 1650 kg/m3 and the calculated Vf of 0.55, I have found that the density of the composite is approximately 1600 kg/m3. This is within the specified limit, indicating that the composite is indeed possible.

In conclusion, based on the plot and calculations, the required carbon fibre volume fraction to achieve the specified modulus is 0.55, and the resulting density of the composite is 1600 kg/m3. I hope this helps in solving your problem. If you have any further questions or require any clarifications, please do not hesitate to reach out to me.

1. What is elastic modulus?

Elastic modulus, also known as Young's modulus, is a measure of a material's stiffness or resistance to deformation. It is defined as the ratio of stress (force per unit area) to strain (change in length per unit length) in a material under elastic deformation.

2. Why are elastic modulus requirements important in mechanical systems?

Elastic modulus requirements are important in mechanical systems because they determine the amount of stress a material can withstand before it permanently deforms. This is crucial in designing safe and efficient mechanical systems that can withstand the forces and loads they will be subjected to.

3. How is elastic modulus measured?

Elastic modulus is typically measured using a tensile or compression test, where a sample of the material is subjected to a known amount of force and the resulting strain is measured. The elastic modulus is then calculated as the slope of the stress-strain curve.

4. What factors affect the elastic modulus of a material?

The elastic modulus of a material is affected by various factors, including the composition and structure of the material, temperature, and the presence of impurities or defects. In general, materials with stronger bonds between their atoms tend to have higher elastic moduli.

5. How do engineers determine the appropriate elastic modulus requirements for a mechanical system?

Engineers consider several factors when determining the elastic modulus requirements for a mechanical system, such as the expected loads and forces, the type of material being used, and the safety factor required for the system. They may also conduct tests and simulations to verify that the chosen elastic modulus is suitable for the intended application.